Navboi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

Bit confused on why the answer is A for the following question.
Appreciate the help, thank you.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The maximum occurs when the waves are in phase (out of phase by zero)... here the result is the amplitudes add together because you're getting the peaks of wave one arriving at the same position as the peaks of wave two at the same time... and the same for the troughs

The minimum occurs when the waves are out of phase by 180 deg... here the result is the difference between the amplitudes because you're getting the troughs from wave one arriving at the same position as the peaks from wave 2 at the same time - and also the peaks from wave one arriving at the same time as the troughs from wave two.

if the interfering waves are equal amplitude the difference between the amplitudes is of course zero
Navboi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
The maximum occurs when the waves are in phase (out of phase by zero)... here the result is the amplitudes add together because you're getting the peaks of wave one arriving at the same position as the peaks of wave two at the same time... and the same for the troughs

The minimum occurs when the waves are out of phase by 180 deg... here the result is the difference between the amplitudes because you're getting the troughs from wave one arriving at the same position as the peaks from wave 2 at the same time - and also the peaks from wave one arriving at the same time as the troughs from wave two.

if the interfering waves are equal amplitude the difference between the amplitudes is of course zero
Ah I see. I thought it was just talking about when the waves were in phase so that the maximum amplitude is 4a and minimum is 0, but now I understand you have to consider both constructive and destructive interference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (658)
33.5%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (834)
42.46%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.5%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.53%

Watched Threads