anonymous90210
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in y11 looking to study economics at university and currently trying to decide on A Levels. I was thinking of doing the following:Maths, Economics & Chemistry/Physics/History (And EPQ perhaps)I’m predicted a 9 in maths and A in additional maths so my maths skills are very strong however my sixth form makes us take the full A Level if we chose to do a 4th option which is why I am not keen on doing Further Maths because I’d rather get better in 3 than worse in 4 if that makes sense? I would like to apply to Oxford E&M so would this put me at a disadvantage? Is this good enough for places like Bath/Exeter/Bristol? Also would a 3rd option be best to have as a science or essay based subject?
Last edited by anonymous90210; 1 month ago
username4793362
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all, do you have at least eight grade 8/9’s?
anonymous90210
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracheostenosis)
First of all, do you have at least eight grade 8/9’s?
Yes I am predicted to get all 9/8s in everything
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford applicants have no less than eight 8/9’s unless you have a reason for not achieving this, so statistics about your school being underachieving etc.

Secondly, I’m not an expert but, students who study economics tend to do Maths, Further maths
csh1912
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous90210)
I’m in y11 looking to study economics at university and currently trying to decide on A Levels. I was thinking of doing the following:Maths, Economics & Chemistry/Physics/History (And EPQ perhaps)I’m predicted a 9 in maths and A in additional maths so my maths skills are very strong however my sixth form makes us take the full A Level if we chose to do a 4th option which is why I am not keen on doing Further Maths because I’d rather get better in 3 than worse in 4 if that makes sense? I would like to apply to Oxford E&M so would this put me at a disadvantage? Is this good enough for places like Bath/Exeter/Bristol? Also would a 3rd option be best to have as a science or essay based subject?
economics not that great, do maths, further maths and physics, economics isn't bad but it's a bit... soft?
anonymous90210
Rep:
?
(Original post by csh1912)
economics not that great, do maths, further maths and physics, economics isn't bad but it's a bit... soft?
Is it bad even for an economics degree?
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, you don’t need to do Economics for the degree.
anonymous90210
Rep:
?
Oxford applicants have no less than eight 8/9’s unless you have a reason for not achieving this, so statistics about your school being underachieving etc.

Secondly, I’m not an expert but, students who study economics tend to do Maths, Further maths
I should hopefully achieve mostly 9s and some 8s.

Yes true I just don’t want it to hinder with my other choices if that makes sense seen as though F.M isn’t a requirement for Oxford. Also I would preferably like to keep my options open but idk
csh1912
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous90210)
Is it bad even for an economics degree?
I mean yeah, just cus it's called economics doesn't mean they want it lol, they want hard maths subjects
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He’s trying to say you need to pick a challenging subject,
Since you’re a grade 9 student, I’d say do Further maths, maths, history
anonymous90210
Rep:
?
He’s trying to say you need to pick a challenging subject,
Since you’re a grade 9 student, I’d say do Further maths, maths, history
Okay thank you
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you get a Grade 9 in gcse mathematics, you’ll find A level maths piss easy, I got a 7 and I found AS maths relatively straight forward
anonymous90210
Rep:
?
(Original post by csh1912)
I mean yeah, just cus it's called economics doesn't mean they want it lol, they want hard maths subjects
Ah okay thank you!
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want, you can add on a 4th, I reckon you’d be able to hand the work load. You could always drop it if you like
So do, Further Maths, Maths, History and Chemistry
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Or physics instead of chemistry, since it’s more complementary to that “maths-based” image
csh1912
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why history tho
username4793362
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History is one of the most toughest A levels
If OP manages to get an A* in that, it’ll be way more prestigious than any other subject, it shows great intellect
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads