This discussion is closed.
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Who thinks the students room has gone down hill or do you think its got better ?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hard for something to go downhill when it was already at the bottom to begin with.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Hard for something to go downhill when it was already at the bottom to begin with.
Very true
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s just been a turnover in users, in particular a massive increase in those with blogs - so if you’re into that sort of thing then it’s great, but I think there’s less of a ‘community feel’ in general than there was 2-3 years ago :dontknow:
username5380556
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
Who thinks the students room has gone down hill or do you think its got better ?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Haha good response
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
There’s just been a turnover in users, in particular a massive increase in those with blogs - so if you’re into that sort of thing then it’s great, but I think there’s less of a ‘community feel’ in general than there was 2-3 years ago :dontknow:
That is the most honest thing I have seen a VT post since RC's absolute takedown 3 years ago.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To answer the question, yes. If you ask any member who has been here a few years they will always tell you it used to be better. They are right, it did used to be better.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
seems to change over time, new users come & go.
If you give it enough time it will cycle back.
I have noticed a few of the wittier users a little less active recently.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
seems to change over time, new users come & go.
If you give it enough time it will cycle back.
I have noticed a few of the wittier users a little less active recently.
I like your optimism.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
That is the most honest thing I have seen a VT post since RC's absolute takedown 3 years ago.
Do you happen to know the post?
An RC takedown sounds like a must see.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Do you happen to know the post?
An RC takedown sounds like a must see.
I certainly do.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4897758
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i was here about 15 years ago and it was piles and piles of hot-headed threads criticising islam, religion in general, the EU, Tory policies... people got very excited about league tables and there was lots of polls and good threads like the nicest uni campus one and stuff like that... and instead of random trolls who have 1 post to their name, you had prolific users who were all highly controversial like the bat-s*** imsoacademic
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cheers for sharing,
classic RC & spot on as usual from him (hopefully he will return, one of the wittier users I was referring to in my earlier post).
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha, brilliant. Love RC, a great poster.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh, RC, great guy.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With regards to the “it’s not as good as it used to be” sentiment, I’ve seen this on every single forum I’ve ever frequented. People form friendly groups they enjoy the company of and over time people leave. It’s the way of the world.

I make quite prodigious use of the ignore function for those that don’t contribute positively, so in all honesty I couldn’t tell you what the overall standard is these days.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i was here about 15 years ago and it was piles and piles of hot-headed threads criticising islam, religion in general, the EU, Tory policies... people got very excited about league tables and there was lots of polls and good threads like the nicest uni campus one and stuff like that... and instead of random trolls who have 1 post to their name, you had prolific users who were all highly controversial like the bat-s*** imsoacademic
You are making me nostalgic, that was what it was like 7 years ago when we still had user mods and neg rep. There were still the one post trolls but there was far more quality content that drowned it out.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I enjoyed it more in the past, this is due to a lot of interesting users leaving or sometimes getting banned.
and also threads where people disagree or drama are now shut down too quickly.
i miss the religion battles too.
muslims vs atheists haha. classic....
I never see them anymore tho 🙁

also too much of the more volatile feminists have left. As much as I disagreed with their views I used to enjoy arguing with them.
I can't actually think of any active user right now I would put in that category.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I enjoyed it more in the past, this is due to a lot of interesting users leaving or sometimes getting banned.
and also threads where people disagree or drama are now shut down too quickly.
i miss the religion battles too.
muslims vs atheists haha. classic....
I never see them anymore tho 🙁

also too much of the more volatile feminists have left. As much as I disagreed with their views I used to enjoy arguing with them.
I can't actually think of any active user right now I would put in that category.
maybe we are starting to evolve into CollegeConfidential............. ...... a source of British pride vs Americans for so many years :'(
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ye everyone in my age group that used to post a few years ago is gone. Those were the days.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (69)
26.95%
No - I have already returned home (28)
10.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
30.08%

Watched Threads