Avesta2003
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all. Not a psychology student, just a curious polymath.
I have read that one can use 'flooding' as a method of dealing with phobias.
How can one use flooding for a patient with thanatophobia? Is it even possible?
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Avesta2003)
Hi all. Not a psychology student, just a curious polymath.
I have read that one can use 'flooding' as a method of dealing with phobias.
How can one use flooding for a patient with thanatophobia? Is it even possible?
My intial thought is that thanatophobia isn't suitable for a flooding approach. Flooding seems most appropriate where the phobia is a clearly defined irrational fear, with relatively easy-to-specify associations and beliefs. An example might be arachnophobia, where a typical fears might be of them biting, or running over one's face while asleep. It is fairly easy to demonstrate the irrationality of these fears through exposure to images and/or real spiders. Fears of death and the associated beliefs are likely to be much more complex. What's more, there is an entirely rational core - its hard to argue that an basic aversion to dying is irrational or unreasonable. In a person without a spider phobia, repeated exposure to spiders is unlikely to produce more than boredom. But show them lots of pictures of dead or dying people, and they are likely to get upset as a whole mess of unpleasant associations are aroused.

A more reasonable approach for thanatophobia might be to try and isolate the particular ideas or associations that are causing distress and work on those specifically. For example, if religious idea about facing eternal torture is causing problems, you might want to examine what the basis for that beliefs is, in the same way as one might talk through an irrational fear about how spiders hold personal grudges.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads