Has anyone been to Central America?

Watch
augustusiii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been to South America several times within the last few years, but I really fancy seeing Central America next. Any advice on the best countries to visit? I really like the idea of Costa Rica.
summerberry19
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope - I would love to though! How were your trips to South America?
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven’t but I really want to go! You know I always think that South America is the continent with the greatest potential but due to bad governments it doesn’t seem like that. But I definitely want to be a tourist there
augustusiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by summerberry19)
Nope - I would love to though! How were your trips to South America?
Very, very good. The most beautiful continent on earth.
elixirhtc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope I haven't experinced of traveling to centeral america...
ibotu020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
El Salvador this is your area of expertise
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by augustusiii)
I've been to South America several times within the last few years, but I really fancy seeing Central America next. Any advice on the best countries to visit? I really like the idea of Costa Rica.
Which countries have you been?

I agree very beautiful, though I wouldnt say the most but thats my opinion.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ibotu020)
El Salvador this is your area of expertise
Indeed it is!
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have been to all of Central America!

If you want to see history and historical buildings -
México (if you consider it a part of Central America)
Guatemala
Panamá
Nicaragua

Nature -
México
Costa Rica

Quick trips -
Panamá
Nicaragua
Honduras
Belize

Long trips -
México
Guatemala
Costa Rica (if you go on a liveaboard)

Keep in mind that there's (normally) a freedom of movement zone between Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras. Foreigners need a passport to get through official border-crossings, but your

It's pretty easy to take the bus from San José, Costa Rica to Managua, Nicaragua (flights to San José are usually cheaper).

If you want the best diving experience as a certified diver, you will have to go on a liveaboard in México and/or Costa Rica.

Safety ranking (note that Central America is the most homicidal region in the world, so this is only comparatively speaking) -
Costa Rica
Panamá
Nicaragua/México

Convenience -
Panamá
México
Belize (they speak English, except the immigrations along the Guatemalan and Mexican borders)

English speakers -
Belize
México
Panamá

Best bases to travel from -
Panamá
México
Costa Rica

Generally, you can expect Spanish colonial buildings throughout, as well as some indigenous sites (Maya) in México, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.

Don't just go with UNESCO heritage sites. Some of the best places are not UNESCO-certified, some that are are quite underwhelming.

México, Costa Rica, Belize are the best places for divers, possibly in the entire world. México and Honduras are also very good places to learn diving.

Costa Rica is good to visit if you like the ocean and the forest, but not really worth visiting unless you're flying just to catch a bus to Managua instead. The gold museum in San José was nice, but there's nothing else to really see.

Personal ranking:
1. México
2. Nicaragua
3. Panamá
4. Guatemala
5. Costa Rica
6. Honduras
7. Belize
8. El Salvador

Reminder: Check their yellow vaccine requirement. If you are travelling straight from the UK, normally they will not expect one. But if you are travelling from somewhere else within the region, such as Brazil, most of those countries will ask for a yellow fever vaccination certificate (which by the way Brazil freely gives after freely vaccinating even foreign tourists almost right away).

During the pandemic, México will likely be the best place to visit as everything touristy is open.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
I haven’t but I really want to go! You know I always think that South America is the continent with the greatest potential but due to bad governments it doesn’t seem like that. But I definitely want to be a tourist there
South America doesn't have the most potential because whilst their economies mostly remain low income and manufacturing-based, none has a high population growth.

The second reason is the unfortunate facts that the coca plant, the core ingredient to make cocaine (easily, even at home), is native to Colombia and its neighbouring countries, and the United States (aka the largest economy in the world) consumes half of the world's production and so all the countries in between suffer from it.

The third reason is the US's constant intervention in the region, including continuously overthrowing their governments. Historically, there's also the colonization factor as well as the Church's continuous interference.
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by El Salvador)
South America doesn't have the most potential because whilst their economies mostly remain low income and manufacturing-based, none has a high population growth.

The second reason is the unfortunate facts that the coca plant, the core ingredient to make cocaine (easily, even at home), is native to Colombia and its neighbouring countries, and the United States (aka the largest economy in the world) consumes half of the world's production and so all the countries in between suffer from it.

The third reason is the US's constant intervention in the region, including continuously overthrowing their governments. Historically, there's also the colonization factor as well as the Church's continuous interference.
Oh I’m not sure about that but I meant the potential for tourism ahaha but I’ve heard that Brazil is great for Hydroelectric power and this sector is growing but slowly. Thanks for the info tho!
summerberry19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would love to travel the world. I've been to India, Wales, France and Iceland.

Guatemala
Panamá
Nicaragua

Nature -
México
Costa Rica

Quick trips -
Panamá
Nicaragua
Honduras
Belize

Long trips -
México
Guatemala

Keep in mind that there's (normally) a freedom of movement zone between Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras. Foreigners need a passport to get through official border-crossings, but your

It's pretty easy to take the bus from San José, Costa Rica to Managua, Nicaragua (flights to San José are usually cheaper).

If you want the best diving experience as a certified diver, you will have to go on a liveaboard in México and/or Costa Rica.

Safety ranking (note that Central America is the most homicidal region in the world, so this is only comparatively speaking) -
Costa Rica
Panamá
Nicaragua/México

Convenience -
Panamá
México
Belize (they speak English, except the immigrations along the Guatemalan and Mexican borders)

English speakers -
Belize
México
Panamá

Panamá
México
Costa Rica

Generally, you can expect Spanish colonial buildings throughout, as well as some indigenous sites (Maya) in México, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.

Don't just go with UNESCO heritage sites. Some of the best places are not UNESCO-certified, some that are are quite underwhelming.

México, Costa Rica, Belize are the best places for divers, possibly in the entire world. México and Honduras are also very good places to learn diving.

Costa Rica is good to visit if you like the ocean and the forest, but not really worth visiting unless you're flying just to catch a bus to Managua instead. The gold museum in San José was nice, but there's nothing else to really see.

Personal ranking:
1. México
2. Nicaragua
3. Panamá
4. Guatemala
5. Costa Rica
6. Honduras
7. Belize
8. El Salvador

Reminder: Check their yellow vaccine requirement. If you are travelling straight from the UK, normally they will not expect one. But if you are travelling from somewhere else within the region, such as Brazil, most of those countries will ask for a yellow fever vaccination certificate (which by the way Brazil freely gives after freely vaccinating even foreign tourists almost right away).

During the pandemic, México will likely be the best place to visit as everything touristy is open.
Wow
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Oh I’m not sure about that but I meant the potential for tourism ahaha but I’ve heard that Brazil is great for Hydroelectric power and this sector is growing but slowly. Thanks for the info tho!
If South America wishes to promote their tourism properly, they will have to remove their economic protectionism and to privatize airports.
briananj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have lived in Mexico for 7 years and was fortunate to visit other countries in Central America too, Panama is a beautiful place so that would be my top recommended, also very common location but Cancun in Mexico is beautiful
augustusiii
Rep:
?
I would love to travel the world. I've been to India, Wales, France and Iceland.

Wow
If you're only 19, then you have all the time in the world!
summerberry19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're only 19, then you have all the time in the world!
I'm 14
augustusiii
Rep:
?
I'm 14
Well you have an entire lifetime ahead of you! I'm almost 30 and I must have spent close 5 years of my life travelling. Whilst it has certainly hindered me in regards to starting a decent career, I would never change a second of it. If I was to give you any advice, I'd say get a working holiday visa and spend some time working abroad. Whatever you do though, you must see South America; Brazil and Colombia and are the most beautiful places on earth.
summerberry19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well you have an entire lifetime ahead of you! I'm almost 30 and I must have spent close 5 years of my life travelling. Whilst it has certainly hindered me in regards to starting a decent career, I would never change a second of it. If I was to give you any advice, I'd say get a working holiday visa and spend some time working abroad. Whatever you do though, you must see South America; Brazil and Colombia and are the most beautiful places on earth.
I absolutely will do! Thank you so much!
I have a scratch off map; it is gold coloured on the outside but when you have visited a country, you scratch it off to reveal colour! I hope to have a rainbow map by the end of my life
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I haven't but I'd.love to though
kristopher560
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Guatemala
Panamá
Nicaragua

Nature -
México
Costa Rica

Quick trips -
Panamá
Nicaragua
Honduras
Belize

Long trips -
México
Guatemala

Costa Rica
Panamá
Nicaragua/México

Convenience -
Panamá
México

English speakers -
Belize
México
Panamá

Panamá
México
Costa Rica

Personal ranking:
1. México
2. Nicaragua
3. Panamá
4. Guatemala
5. Costa Rica
6. Honduras
7. Belize
8. El Salvador

Thanks for idea to visit the amazing places.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (703)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads