Being a medical student is depressing me

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I honestly don't know why a medical degree is glorified so much. For the majority of the time, it's a stressful and overwhelming course. I love science and the human body fascinates me but the amount of content we're covering is exhausting. I don't see my friends anymore, I barely have time to exercise - every day I roll out of bed, get dressed, and study for hours upon hours. Then I go back to bed, sleep and repeat. I'm tired and depressed all of the time. Am I the only med student who's feeling so down?
jessicaelliot97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what year you're in but if you've just started give yourself time to adjust. It'll be worth it in the long run
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Healthcare degrees of any kind are a case of no pain no gain. However, it is designed to be manageable for the typical student. If you’re struggling you may want to consider reaching out to your academic advisor/tutor/supervisor to see if there’s any additional support you can access or to see if it’s worth taking a break.
BlueSpikes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to feel like this sort of when beginning my first year.
My advice is don't feel that you need to learn everything and give yourself time to exercise. Usually what comes up on the exam will be a small fraction of the huge amount of content that is taught. Don't get stressed over the details.
Learn the basic concepts and learn a few facts then leave it at that then go enjoy time with friends or family. Your health comes first.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I honestly don't know why a medical degree is glorified so much. For the majority of the time, it's a stressful and overwhelming course. I love science and the human body fascinates me but the amount of content we're covering is exhausting. I don't see my friends anymore, I barely have time to exercise - every day I roll out of bed, get dressed, and study for hours upon hours. Then I go back to bed, sleep and repeat. I'm tired and depressed all of the time. Am I the only med student who's feeling so down?
Medical degrees are one of the hardest degrees to study and it's a large chunk of your life taken over by studying. If you're in your first year, it might take some time to adjust but you can do this!

I ask that you check in with yourself regularly and if you're feeling really bad, please speak to a doctor or reach out to someone for therapy. 7cups.com is a free website where you can chat to someone (not a counsellor) about how you're feeling. Keep getting it off your chest and disclose how you're feeling to your peers maybe. They might feel the same. Just don't keep it under wraps if it's really bothering you day to day.
Last edited by -Eirlys-; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (704)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads