bobthebuilder687
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi i need to write an essay for school and was wondering if i could get some help?
my essay has to be about the methods used to present Slim in the Of mice and men book. then there is another question which i have to consider which is: how does Steinbeck represent how life was for men when the book was set? If anyone could give me some ideas it would be appreciated
Freya_ebony
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm studying Of Mice and Men, what is it exactly you're stuck on? Planning the essay, what it means by "the way Steinbeck presents", what there is to know about Slim in general?
I'll give you a brief plan:

Intro - Who is Slim? When is he introduced? What is his overall importance?
Paragraph 1 - He has a dog, doesn't care much for its pups, was going to drown them right off, this contrasts with Lennie's bond to animals, shows Slims practicality.
Paragraph 2 - He is god-like to the ranchers, he leads them when they work, they look to him for advise, George confides in him about Weed because he feels he can trust Slim.
Paragraph 3 - Slim understands humane feelings, he doesn't show hostility to Crooks, helps him out in the stables, he comforts George after Lennie has died and is the only one to.
Conclusion - (I'll let you decide where that leaves Slim's character!)
A.Peters0797
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bobthebuilder687)
hi i need to write an essay for school and was wondering if i could get some help?
my essay has to be about the methods used to present Slim in the Of mice and men book. then there is another question which i have to consider which is: how does Steinbeck represent how life was for men when the book was set? If anyone could give me some ideas it would be appreciated
Wooow this takes me back, I loved studying Of Mice and Men at school

A tip I have for writing about certain characters whilst at home is to search Of Mice and Men in Google Books and type 'Slim', or whichever character you're focusing on, and find some of your extracts that way. Then you can pick out different specific quotes that you feel are relevant to answering the question. I think Freya-ebony did a pretty good job of helping you out with some structure, just make sure you use specific examples to back it up by embedding quotes in your writing.

As for the 'how does Steinbeck represent how life was for men when the book was set?' question:

The book was set in a place called Soledad (a Spanish word meaning solitude/loneliness) in California. Maybe Steinbeck chose this name to reflect how, even though it seemed like there were nice people on the ranch, it was an 'every man for himself' sort of situation.

The book was also set during the Great Depression in America, so jobs were often insecure and seasonal, so George and Lennie were chasing the American Dream to find peace and security.

You could talk about themes of racism/marginalisation in the book, as it was particularly difficult for African-Americans to find work during the Great Depression. You could also discuss how women were treated in comparison to men, as Curley's wife was objectified by the men and by Steinbeck to make her seem like a toxic character, but when she dies we realise she's a sweet and innocent young woman who is now at peace
Natan Long
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I`m study Of Mice and Men a long time in school, but all what i remember about Slim its quiet, observant man, Slim is portrayed as wise and the true authority figure on the ranch. While the other workers listen to the boss and Curley because they have to, they listen to Slim because they respect him as a worker and as a person. He gently convinces Candy that it is time to give up his dog, and may be partially responsible for George's action at the end of the story.
bobthebuilder687
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bobthebuilder687)
(Original post by Freya_ebony)
I'm studying Of Mice and Men, what is it exactly you're stuck on? Planning the essay, what it means by "the way Steinbeck presents", what there is to know about Slim in general?
I'll give you a brief plan:

Intro - Who is Slim? When is he introduced? What is his overall importance?
Paragraph 1 - He has a dog, doesn't care much for its pups, was going to drown them right off, this contrasts with Lennie's bond to animals, shows Slims practicality.
Paragraph 2 - He is god-like to the ranchers, he leads them when they work, they look to him for advise, George confides in him about Weed because he feels he can trust Slim.
Paragraph 3 - Slim understands humane feelings, he doesn't show hostility to Crooks, helps him out in the stables, he comforts George after Lennie has died and is the only one to.
Conclusion - (I'll let you decide where that leaves Slim's character!)

thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it
(Original post by A.Peters0797)
Wooow this takes me back, I loved studying Of Mice and Men at school

A tip I have for writing about certain characters whilst at home is to search Of Mice and Men in Google Books and type 'Slim', or whichever character you're focusing on, and find some of your extracts that way. Then you can pick out different specific quotes that you feel are relevant to answering the question. I think Freya-ebony did a pretty good job of helping you out with some structure, just make sure you use specific examples to back it up by embedding quotes in your writing.

As for the 'how does Steinbeck represent how life was for men when the book was set?' question:

The book was set in a place called Soledad (a Spanish word meaning solitude/loneliness) in California. Maybe Steinbeck chose this name to reflect how, even though it seemed like there were nice people on the ranch, it was an 'every man for himself' sort of situation.

The book was also set during the Great Depression in America, so jobs were often insecure and seasonal, so George and Lennie were chasing the American Dream to find peace and security.

You could talk about themes of racism/marginalisation in the book, as it was particularly difficult for African-Americans to find work during the Great Depression. You could also discuss how women were treated in comparison to men, as Curley's wife was objectified by the men and by Steinbeck to make her seem like a toxic character, but when she dies we realise she's a sweet and innocent young woman who is now at peace
thank you!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What are the themes of the novel? Make a list to start with. Divide your entire essay up, it needs to have paragraphs. Look at a few different essays online and then just rewrite them in your own words on Microsoft Word. Good luck to you my dear. You can do this. Stay calm and focused on your task. If you have any helpful books or notes, then use them to your advantage to help you to write a decent essay.
What are you struggling with right now? Do you require assistance writing the actual essay or are you in need of help to start or not? Is there a minimum word expectation? If so you need to factor that into account when planning and writing your essay. Afterwards remember to proofread the essay looking for any obvious spelling mistakes. When does the essay need to be handed in by?
There are a lot of good books out there that can be help. I recommend you visit a local bookshop to see the total range on offer or look online as well. If you need further support, discuss things with the teacher privately after class and see if she can be of help. If not, join one of those student revision support groups on Facebook and post on there asking for some sort of assistance.
bobthebuilder687
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
What are the themes of the novel? Make a list to start with. Divide your entire essay up, it needs to have paragraphs. Look at a few different essays online and then just rewrite them in your own words on Microsoft Word. Good luck to you my dear. You can do this. Stay calm and focused on your task. If you have any helpful books or notes, then use them to your advantage to help you to write a decent essay.
What are you struggling with right now? Do you require assistance writing the actual essay or are you in need of help to start or not? Is there a minimum word expectation? If so you need to factor that into account when planning and writing your essay. Afterwards remember to proofread the essay looking for any obvious spelling mistakes. When does the essay need to be handed in by?
There are a lot of good books out there that can be help. I recommend you visit a local bookshop to see the total range on offer or look online as well. If you need further support, discuss things with the teacher privately after class and see if she can be of help. If not, join one of those student revision support groups on Facebook and post on there asking for some sort of assistance.
thank you so much! this helped a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads