HowQuestionMark
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a fairly simple question which is:
Explain why the moment of the weight reduces to zero when the plate reaches the bottom of the swing.

There is a diagram of an irregular shaped object with pivot point P and Weight 6N is 0.5m away.

I know that the moment will reduce to zero but I don't really know why. The question is only worth 1 mark so its not urgent that I find the answer but I would appreciate an explanation of why this happens.
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DavySp)
Explain why the moment of the weight reduces to zero when the plate reaches the bottom of the swing.

There is a diagram of an irregular shaped object with pivot point P and Weight 6N is 0.5m away.

I know that the moment will reduce to zero but I don't really know why. The question is only worth 1 mark so its not urgent that I find the answer but I would appreciate an explanation of why this happens.
Which direction are the forces pointing, compared to the "rope"?
AW AFR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe because the horizontal distance between the Weight and point P reduces to zero.

hence,moment will be zero.
Last edited by AW AFR; 1 month ago
HowQuestionMark
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AW AFR)
Maybe because the horizontal distance between the Weight and point P reduces to zero.

hence,moment will be zero.
thank you, I wasn't sure how to phrase it but this helped.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DavySp)

Bit of a guessing game without the diagram. But:

Their is tension in the rope, it has a horizontal & vertical element, and weight acting on the object.

At the moment the the plate reaches the bottom of the swing the horizontal element of the swing has a distance of 0. And the vertical element the tension and force of weight are equal & opposite so the net force is 0. Hence the moment is 0.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (782)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.71%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed