o_reo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im in year 13 and I take maths economics and physics a level and am predicted A*, A*, A respectively.
I have basic coding abilities

do I have a good chance of applying or a data science degree or should I not bother?
im asking because I dont take further maths, which I know is desirable, and I dont have a lot of experience in coding. But the data science courses I have looked at, I find interesting.

What do you Guys think?
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m.s124)
Im in year 13 and I take maths economics and physics a level and am predicted A*, A*, A respectively.
I have basic coding abilities

do I have a good chance of applying or a data science degree or should I not bother?
im asking because I dont take further maths, which I know is desirable, and I dont have a lot of experience in coding. But the data science courses I have looked at, I find interesting.

What do you Guys think?
Have you looked at entry requirements for the degrees you are interested in? If you meet the entry requirements, then you effectively have as good a chance as anyone else. We can't really comment on your chances beyond that, because it's not going to boil down to one factor. There are many things that could improve your chances, and Further Maths is only one of them.

Besides that, what is your motivation for getting a degree? University is a huge commitment and isn't really something you should decide based on "this course looks interesting". Do you have some careers in mind where a Data Science degree would be beneficial? Have you ever studied Data Science before to know it's something you'll be interested in? While you can drop out if it's not for you, you're effectively comitting 3+ years of your life to studying something on the whim of "it looked interesting when I read it on the website", which ultimately is marketing material designed to get you interested.

Personally I'd explore the subject further first, to ensure it's something you want to do. That will in turn help your application if you do decide to apply, since you'll have evidence of interest.
o_reo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AcseI)
Have you looked at entry requirements for the degrees you are interested in? If you meet the entry requirements, then you effectively have as good a chance as anyone else. We can't really comment on your chances beyond that, because it's not going to boil down to one factor. There are many things that could improve your chances, and Further Maths is only one of them.

Besides that, what is your motivation for getting a degree? University is a huge commitment and isn't really something you should decide based on "this course looks interesting". Do you have some careers in mind where a Data Science degree would be beneficial? Have you ever studied Data Science before to know it's something you'll be interested in? While you can drop out if it's not for you, you're effectively comitting 3+ years of your life to studying something on the whim of "it looked interesting when I read it on the website", which ultimately is marketing material designed to get you interested.

Personally I'd explore the subject further first, to ensure it's something you want to do. That will in turn help your application if you do decide to apply, since you'll have evidence of interest.
when I said it looks interesting I meant that I have looked at the course structure and the modules seem interesting. the elements of maths are topics I enjoy and computer science is always something ive wanted to learn more about and have taken a 2 programming courses but I wouldnt call myself an expert in coding. but I guess I do need to look more into it when it comes down to what jobs I can get.

I do meet the entry requirements but in some of the universities it says "further maths is desirable" so I just wanted to know if it would be disadvantaged not taking it.
With regards as to whether university is for me, I am also applying to degree apprenticeships in technology. if Im honest the ucas process is like a backup if I dont get into a good degree apprenticeship. I guess I will think more about whether I should go to university once I get my offers but theres no harm in applying.
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
when I said it looks interesting I meant that I have looked at the course structure and the modules seem interesting. the elements of maths are topics I enjoy and computer science is always something ive wanted to learn more about and have taken a 2 programming courses but I wouldnt call myself an expert in coding. but I guess I do need to look more into it when it comes down to what jobs I can get.
I would definitely look into what impact the degree will have on your career prospects, and if it gets you closer to what you want to do, before making any commitments. Ideally you'd do it the other way round though, you'd have an idea of what you want to do and then choose a degree that gets you there.

There are certainly good applications for Data Science, so it's not like you're picking a noddy degree with no prospects. But a lot of people make the mistake of choosing a degree, trying to shoehorn a career out of it and finding it doesn't quite work out.

I do meet the entry requirements but in some of the universities it says "further maths is desirable" so I just wanted to know if it would be disadvantaged not taking it.
You would not be disadvantaged per se, more having it would be advantageous. If it were something they outright required, it'd be in their requirements. So while one student may have Further Maths, another may have evidence of a vested interest, and a third may have some prior experience. We can't say what sort of impact each one has, because we're not admissions and unis aren't going to release that information anyway.

Between two perfectly identical applicants but one has Further Maths, the FM student will probably get it. But that's not really how it works, you're not competing against other identical candidates. You could have FM and still lose out to a candidate without FM. At the end of the day, it's not really worth worrying about if you can't do anything about it. Focus on what you can do to strengthen your application.

You are absolutely correct though, there's no harm in applying and having the option should you want it. You have basically nothing to lose by applying.
o_reo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AcseI)
I would definitely look into what impact the degree will have on your career prospects, and if it gets you closer to what you want to do, before making any commitments. Ideally you'd do it the other way round though, you'd have an idea of what you want to do and then choose a degree that gets you there.

There are certainly good applications for Data Science, so it's not like you're picking a noddy degree with no prospects. But a lot of people make the mistake of choosing a degree, trying to shoehorn a career out of it and finding it doesn't quite work out.

You would not be disadvantaged per se, more having it would be advantageous. If it were something they outright required, it'd be in their requirements. So while one student may have Further Maths, another may have evidence of a vested interest, and a third may have some prior experience. We can't say what sort of impact each one has, because we're not admissions and unis aren't going to release that information anyway.

Between two perfectly identical applicants but one has Further Maths, the FM student will probably get it. But that's not really how it works, you're not competing against other identical candidates. You could have FM and still lose out to a candidate without FM. At the end of the day, it's not really worth worrying about if you can't do anything about it. Focus on what you can do to strengthen your application.

You are absolutely correct though, there's no harm in applying and having the option should you want it. You have basically nothing to lose by applying.
thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads