Is a job in museum curation possible?

Watch
crimsonclover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m in my third year of uni studying psychology, and while I have enjoyed it, I do wish I’d done history as that is my true passion. I’ve come to the conclusion that my dream job would be in museum curation. I was just wondering how feasible this would be with a psychology degree? From my understanding I could do a masters in museum studies and obtain work experience in museums, however I know that museum curation is very competitive and jobs can be hard to come by, and those who do get jobs tend to have a degree in art history/history/archeology. Do I have a real chance of getting a job in this field? No other job appeals to me like museum curation does.
bleusialia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello crimsonclover, I'm sort of on a similar dilemma, trying to change my career path after realizing that the sort of life that STEM researchers have, -like spending a lot of time in a lab- is just not what I feel am good at. One of my friends told me that maybe a more managerial job would allow me to build what they call transferable skills and get wherever I want. By what I've read so far, a curatorial job also involves creating this sort of dialog between areas so I think that you shouldn't feel discouraged to follow that pathway coming from psychology, I'd actually find it interesting!... I think that if art is your passion, you'll ace at it, and who knows, maybe in the future you can become the founder of your own art gallery Good luck.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by crimsonclover)
So I’m in my third year of uni studying psychology, and while I have enjoyed it, I do wish I’d done history as that is my true passion. I’ve come to the conclusion that my dream job would be in museum curation. I was just wondering how feasible this would be with a psychology degree? From my understanding I could do a masters in museum studies and obtain work experience in museums, however I know that museum curation is very competitive and jobs can be hard to come by, and those who do get jobs tend to have a degree in art history/history/archeology. Do I have a real chance of getting a job in this field? No other job appeals to me like museum curation does.
(Original post by bleusialia)
Hello crimsonclover, I'm sort of on a similar dilemma, trying to change my career path after realizing that the sort of life that STEM researchers have, -like spending a lot of time in a lab- is just not what I feel am good at. One of my friends told me that maybe a more managerial job would allow me to build what they call transferable skills and get wherever I want. By what I've read so far, a curatorial job also involves creating this sort of dialog between areas so I think that you shouldn't feel discouraged to follow that pathway coming from psychology, I'd actually find it interesting!... I think that if art is your passion, you'll ace at it, and who knows, maybe in the future you can become the founder of your own art gallery Good luck.
It's possible, but it is very competitive. There are a lot of routes in, and it's very poorly paid. Most people who succeed have had a long history of volunteering and working low pay jobs, plus gaining a Masters in an appropriate subject. It's the sort of end role that takes a lot of smaller prior steps to achieve. So if it is your goal, my advice would be to build up the volunteering experience in parallel to working where you currently are/can earn. Join all the professional organisations and follow the sector closely, look at career paths, do all the additional online training you can etc.

Then at some point you will probably have to decide whether a Masters is going to be necessary and how you can afford that etc. Join the Museums Association as a starting point - there's loads of information, advice and training available from them.
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to work in the arts and it's similar to heritage - museums tend to take on volunteers long before any sort of paid position comes up. I know somebody who volunteered for a few years after graduation before she found a full-time job, although she's doing well now and seemingly loves what she does. She coupled it with part-time work and lived at home to save costs. Mentioning as it's something to bear in mind if you do choose this route (which sounds great!).
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 1 month ago
Fahmida_kn29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you heard of MOLA? Museum of London Archaeology. They are currently recruiting for over 100 roles and quite a few of them are entry level roles fit for graduates. They will be in this recruitment fair: https://www.built-environment-networ...ruitment-fair/

FREE to register!
bleusialia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
threeportdrift and DuckDodgers so I am not the OP but just wanted to say thank you for the insight , I think it's definitively going to help me a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.27%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.68%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (129)
29.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise