Nimra Noor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I have recently started A levels with Oxbridge Home Learning.
I am new in Uk so I don't know much about the exam system in Uk.
Could anyone kindly help me by providing an explanation about when do you have to give exams for your A levels?
What will be the time gap between Paper 1, Paper 2, and Paper 3?
What are the exams like in the UK; Are they more conceptual questions or is it more about definitions and theory etc?
simonmorrish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi.

Welcome to the UK! Despite some bad publicity in recent years, I think and hope you will find most people here to be, open-minded, kind and welcoming.

In England, A level exams in school are all taken together at the end of two years' study. But I'm not familiar with Oxbridge Home Learning - ask them to confirm that yours will be like this. For questions, the best idea is for you to look at some past papers to see the style of question: Find out which exam board publishes the course you are being taught. Then Google the exam board and find your A Levels. From there, you will be able to download the specification (list of what you must learn) and some past papers and solutions.

I hope that helps!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A Level exams are available (normally) only once a year in the Summer and most people take about 2 years to complete the course. The entry deadline is in February before that Summer. All the exams (the number per A level varies between subjects but is most commonly 3) have to be taken in the same exam season - the exams are likely to be spread over 1-3 weeks.

AS the other poster has said, it would be a good diea to find some past papers to see what sort of questions you will get. what subjects and exam boards are you taking?
Nimra Noor
Rep:
?
(Original post by simonmorrish)
Hi.

Welcome to the UK! Despite some bad publicity in recent years, I think and hope you will find most people here to be, open-minded, kind and welcoming.

In England, A level exams in school are all taken together at the end of two years' study. But I'm not familiar with Oxbridge Home Learning - ask them to confirm that yours will be like this. For questions, the best idea is for you to look at some past papers to see the style of question: Find out which exam board publishes the course you are being taught. Then Google the exam board and find your A Levels. From there, you will be able to download the specification (list of what you must learn) and some past papers and solutions.

I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for your help and kind welcome!
I would agree that British people very welcoming and open minded and I am enjoying my time here.

Thanks for your help. I have emailed my tutor at Oxbridge to provide me some information and I will have a look at past papers soon!

kind regards
Nimra Noor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
A Level exams are available (normally) only once a year in the Summer and most people take about 2 years to complete the course. The entry deadline is in February before that Summer. All the exams (the number per A level varies between subjects but is most commonly 3) have to be taken in the same exam season - the exams are likely to be spread over 1-3 weeks.

AS the other poster has said, it would be a good diea to find some past papers to see what sort of questions you will get. what subjects and exam boards are you taking?
Thanks a lot for your help.
I have started my A levels in September 2020 it means I will have to apply for my exams before February 2022?
In our country, we have to give exams both first and second year so that's something new to me that exams will be taken at the same time, after 2 years...

I am studying Psychology, Biology and Sociology and exam board is AQA.
simonmorrish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nimra Noor)
Thanks a lot for your help.
I have started my A levels in September 2020 it means I will have to apply for my exams before February 2022?
In our country, we have to give exams both first and second year so that's something new to me that exams will be taken at the same time, after 2 years...

I am studying Psychology, Biology and Sociology and exam board is AQA.
Yes, Feb 2022 is the entry deadline.

It is only recently that England has changed to sitting exams at the end of the two years. In Wales, students are still examined at the end of each year. Scotland has a completely different system, and I'm not sure about Northern Ireland. The UK is so complicated!

Here are links where you can get the specifications and past papers:

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psyc...logy-7181-7182
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scie...logy-7401-7402
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/soci...logy-7191-7192
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads