The Student Room Group

Law at Russell Group after Access to HE

Hi,

Currently on Access to HE course for law/humanities and applying for LLB Law for 2021 entry.

I know firsthand people who've gotten into Durham & Exeter from this course and have read about someone on here who got into LSE after doing an online Access to HE.

Anyone else completed an Access to HE course and received an offer to study law at a Russell Group uni or elsewhere? Where? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey - I dont know if the LSE person you mention is me, but, I'm at LSE after doing my Access to HE.

I had offers from LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL and Southampton. All RG with varying levels of prestige.

Drop me a DM if you have any specific questions :smile:
Original post by DCDCo
Hey - I dont know if the LSE person you mention is me, but, I'm at LSE after doing my Access to HE.

I had offers from LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL and Southampton. All RG with varying levels of prestige.

Drop me a DM if you have any specific questions :smile:

Hey! Can I ask what GCSE grades and Access to HE grades you got? What would you suggest to anyone applying with this diploma?
Reply 3
Original post by Suniya.m05
Hey! Can I ask what GCSE grades and Access to HE grades you got? What would you suggest to anyone applying with this diploma?

My GSCE's were very average - a mix of B's and C's. I got 45 Distinctions for my Access to HE Diploma.

If you are applying with it, you are no different to any other applicant. Each university will have its respective criteria for applying and you want exceed that where possible. If that University requires the LNAT, you need to score competitively.

Aside from that, in your personal statement, I'd focus on why you have chosen to study law academically having previously chosen to not do so. Als, there is ample opportunity to emphasise how you are going to be an asset to the course :smile:
Thank you!
Reply 5
Know someone offered Liverpool, Nottingham and Exeter. Their GCSEs covered everything from a 5 to a 9.
Original post by DCDCo
My GSCE's were very average - a mix of B's and C's. I got 45 Distinctions for my Access to HE Diploma.

If you are applying with it, you are no different to any other applicant. Each university will have its respective criteria for applying and you want exceed that where possible. If that University requires the LNAT, you need to score competitively.

Aside from that, in your personal statement, I'd focus on why you have chosen to study law academically having previously chosen to not do so. Als, there is ample opportunity to emphasise how you are going to be an asset to the course :smile:

Hi! I want to also apply to LSE. Can I ask what you think a good LNAT score is? I also read on the website that for access students they also assess the essay section of the LNAT - how hard is this section? I attempted the first part of the test for practice and got 19/42. Is this bad?
Original post by Glibby
Hi,

Currently on Access to HE course for law/humanities and applying for LLB Law for 2021 entry.

I know firsthand people who've gotten into Durham & Exeter from this course and have read about someone on here who got into LSE after doing an online Access to HE.

Anyone else completed an Access to HE course and received an offer to study law at a Russell Group uni or elsewhere? Where? Thanks.

Cambridge regularly makes offers in Law to students who have taken Access to HE courses.
Reply 8
Hi! I want to also apply to LSE. Can I ask what you think a good LNAT score is? I also read on the website that for access students they also assess the essay section of the LNAT - how hard is this section? I attempted the first part of the test for practice and got 19/42. Is this bad?

Hey,

The LNAT is measured on a year by year basis with reference to the average score of the cohort. So, for example: In my year, the average score was 19.9. When people looked at Oxford admissions (through FOI's) it was found that the average offer holder achieved +8 the average that year (28). So, a good score that year would have been 28. But, this wasn't to say that applicants who scored lower didn't receive offers (they did), and applicants who scored hire did receive offers (some didn't, with notable cases of some applicants scoring 36/40 and not getting an offer). I do not know how LSE intend to position itself (they didn't run the LNAT in my cycle, but I completed it anyway as I was applying to Uni's that did), but, I'd assume they would be similar to Oxbridge. So, i'd aim for +7/8 the average.

In terms of the essay section - It's not difficult. It's essentially a 500-word brief argument about a topic you pick from a choice of 3. There are lots of websites/books that describe what you should be doing here.

In summary - 19 is likely "average". You want to score a little higher. But, this doesn't make you ineligible for LSE. LSE Law has a lower offer rate than Oxbridge so it's quite competitive. Essentially - You need to do as best you can!

One extra tidbit - If you are successful in your application you will have to sit the UGAA. My advice would be to slowly brush up on that syllabus over time. I had to cram for that and it wasn't fun.

If you have any other questions, please do tag me, or, drop me a DM :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DCDCo
Hey,

The LNAT is measured on a year by year basis with reference to the average score of the cohort. So, for example: In my year, the average score was 19. When people looked at Oxford admissions (through FOI's) it was found that the average offer holder achieved +8 the average that year (28). So, a good score that year would have been 28. But, this wasn't to say that applicants who scored lower didn't receive offers (they did), and applicants who scored hire did receive offers (some didn't, with notable cases of some applicants scoring 36/40 and not getting an offer). I do not know how LSE intend to position itself (they didn't run the LNAT in my cycle, but I completed it anyway as I was applying to Uni's that did), but, I'd assume they would be similar to Oxbridge. So, i'd aim for +7/8 the average.

In terms of the essay section - It's not difficult. It's essentially a 500-word brief argument about a topic you pick from a choice of 3. There are lots of websites/books that describe what you should be doing here.

In summary - 19 is likely "average". You want to score a little higher. But, this doesn't make you ineligible for LSE. LSE Law has a lower offer rate than Oxbridge so it's quite competitive. Essentially - You need to do as best you can!

One extra tidbit - If you are successful in your application you will have to sit the UGAA. My advice would be to slowly brush up on that syllabus over time. I had to cram for that and it wasn't fun.

Thanks so much! I read on the website that if you’re an access student for Law, they don’t require the UGAA as they will assess the essay section of the LNAT if I’m not mistaken. So it’s pretty important I do well on both sections.
Reply 10
Thanks so much! I read on the website that if you’re an access student for Law, they don’t require the UGAA as they will assess the essay section of the LNAT if I’m not mistaken. So it’s pretty important I do well on both sections.

That's a step in the right direction... I had not done GCSE maths in a long, LONG time. Trying to navigate that section was awful!

LNAT isn't all that. I applied this year with an LNAT score of 17, still got my offers from LSE and KCL (although UCL did reject me off my LNAT score). I'd say a strong personal statement and focusing on getting 45 credits at distinction is worth more than your MCQ score. I wouldn't stress a lot over the essay either since LNAT essays are usually used for borderline students^^
Reply 12
Original post by Glibby
Hi,

I got into Manchester with straight distinctions, I also had a friend who received an offer from Liverpool.
Reply 13
Sorry - I've not been on TSR in some time. To answer my own question I applied for LLB Law at Newcastle, Northumbria, Durham, Exeter and KCL and got offers from the first four. Durham was always going to be my firm if I got it so I withdrew my KCL application, firmed Durham and put Exeter as my insurance. I did consider LSE and UCL but they had some GCSE requirements I didn't meet and I decided to only apply to two LNAT unis regardless (just in case I had a horrible exam on the day) I think I scored 23 on the LNAT and a friend who also got offers from Durham, Newcastle and Northumbria scored 21 or slightly lower.

My only advice to those in the same position next year would be to start everything as early as possible. Background reading, thinking about where you want to go, course modules, LNAT revision (Dr Matt Williams from Jesus College, Oxf. has some helpful videos on it), coming up with a basic PS plan and first draft. I remember reading an exact page just like this a year-and-half ago, trying to stomach the confidence to leave my job and apply. I did and I'm really glad for it! Good luck to anyone considering it!
Original post by Glibby
Hi,

Not law, but I'm finishing my access course this summer and had offers from the University of Manchester, and Nottingham for nursing. It's definitely possible if you meet the conditions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DCDCo
Hey,

The LNAT is measured on a year by year basis with reference to the average score of the cohort. So, for example: In my year, the average score was 19.9. When people looked at Oxford admissions (through FOI's) it was found that the average offer holder achieved +8 the average that year (28). So, a good score that year would have been 28. But, this wasn't to say that applicants who scored lower didn't receive offers (they did), and applicants who scored hire did receive offers (some didn't, with notable cases of some applicants scoring 36/40 and not getting an offer). I do not know how LSE intend to position itself (they didn't run the LNAT in my cycle, but I completed it anyway as I was applying to Uni's that did), but, I'd assume they would be similar to Oxbridge. So, i'd aim for +7/8 the average.

Thank you! I got 19 without any practice at my first go so hopefully lots of practice will bump that up.
Original post by Glibby
Sorry - I've not been on TSR in some time. To answer my own question I applied for LLB Law at Newcastle, Northumbria, Durham, Exeter and KCL and got offers from the first four. Durham was always going to be my firm if I got it so I withdrew my KCL application, firmed Durham and put Exeter as my insurance. I did consider LSE and UCL but they had some GCSE requirements I didn't meet and I decided to only apply to two LNAT unis regardless (just in case I had a horrible exam on the day) I think I scored 23 on the LNAT and a friend who also got offers from Durham, Newcastle and Northumbria scored 21 or slightly lower.

My only advice to those in the same position next year would be to start everything as early as possible. Background reading, thinking about where you want to go, course modules, LNAT revision (Dr Matt Williams from Jesus College, Oxf. has some helpful videos on it), coming up with a basic PS plan and first draft. I remember reading an exact page just like this a year-and-half ago, trying to stomach the confidence to leave my job and apply. I did and I'm really glad for it! Good luck to anyone considering it!

Hi, I'm also not sure which uni to choose between KCL and Durham for law (LLB). If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Durham over KCL? Was there something that made it particularly stand out?
Thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by almondmilk101
Hi, I'm also not sure which uni to choose between KCL and Durham for law (LLB). If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Durham over KCL? Was there something that made it particularly stand out?
Thanks!

One thing I'd give serious consideration to is your career path. If you are interested in commercial law, given how competitive it is, it is so so much easier to get to open days, networking events, etc when you are in London as opposed to anywhere else. Ask anyone who has written a TC app for firms: they are infinitely easier to write when you have had a genuine connection! Something to consider, outside of the elitism/prestige arguments :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Glibby

To anyone who is reading this - This is absolutely critical advice. I tell this to anyone who asks. When you are doing an Access course, you are having to do the course, write your PS, study for the LNAT, all at once. It is really, really demanding. The earlier you start, the better!

I would also roll this advice over into job applications - If you know what you want to do, get started A S A P. I started in Year 1 at Uni and I am so glad. I was all wrapped up in Year 2 with a firm job offer, when so many of my cohort were still wrapping their head around their first applications. It made it so much easier starting earlier!
Reply 19
Original post by almondmilk101
Thanks!

Sorry to give such a comme ci comme ça answer, but there's no profound reason I chose Durham over KCL. I visited Durham several times, visited some of the colleges & faculty as part of open days pre-COVID, liked a lot of the modules and could generally picture myself there more than at KCL. Maybe if I'd visited King's it would be a different story?

In hindsight (despite some of their similarities) I'd have preferred LSE or UCL over King's, so I didn't want to pick it as a second choice in that regard. You could argue back-and-forth all day about elitism and get nowhere so don't get slowed down by that - they're both very good. As the ever amazing @DCDCo points out, London is the legal hub of the country, and you're right in the middle of everything that's going on career-wise, but you're not going to be massively left out if you're elsewhere. Student finance and living costs also factored into it for me too.

If you want to get into a MC firm, google--"Linklaters" "associate" "Durham" "LLB" "linkedin"--or something similar. See if there is a lot of people on LinkedIn, or on the firm's 'our people' page, who've done an LLB at Durham, or KCL, or wherever. What are they doing now? Something you'd want to do? Same with chambers, banking, whatever you might want to do after you graduate.

At the end of the day though they're both great choices and it won't be the end of the world if you pick one and not the other. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending