JessieG18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone,
Soon I’ll have to write an essay for my EPQ, and I want to base it around maths. I would like some suggestions on some unique topics that would enable me to write a good essay. I want to do a maths degree, and I think doing the dissertation on a maths topic would help me to get into university.
Any suggestions are appreciated ( I’m an AS student to give an idea of the level)
Thank you
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JessieG18)
Hi everyone,
Soon I’ll have to write an essay for my EPQ, and I want to base it around maths. I would like some suggestions on some unique topics that would enable me to write a good essay. I want to do a maths degree, and I think doing the dissertation on a maths topic would help me to get into university.
Any suggestions are appreciated ( I’m an AS student to give an idea of the level)
Thank you
Any particular focus: history, application, calculus, complex, geometry, education, ....
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i did a maths epq but it's probably beyond what most people would want to do.

What sort of topics are you interested in?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi everyone,
Thank you
Knot Theory is a really fascinating topic that isn't taught until university, but can be quite accessible for A-level students compared to some other university topics.

Or you could look into some aspect of maths history. Mesopotamian maths is really interesting to look into, as they counted in a different base to us and also were quite mathematically advanced for their time period.

Another popular topic that comes up at university but is accessible for A-level students is cryptography and code-breaking.
JessieG18
Rep:
?
Honestly, I quite like all aspects but I have enjoyed matrices recently. Or maybe something to do with history would be interesting.
JessieG18
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Knot Theory is a really fascinating topic that isn't taught until university, but can be quite accessible for A-level students compared to some other university topics.

Or you could look into some aspect of maths history. Mesopotamian maths is really interesting to look into, as they counted in a different base to us and also were quite mathematically advanced for their time period.

Another popular topic that comes up at university but is accessible for A-level students is cryptography and code-breaking.
Thank you!! I’ll have a look into it
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi everyone,
Thank you
How long is this supposed to be?

Going over Fermat's last theorem will give you a broad knowledge of a lot of mathematics of the last 300 years, which you will not have encountered yet. bluebeetle suggestion of knot theory is very good, as realistically you won't need much knowledge going into it. The concept of infinite sets is always nice. Classification of finite simple groups is another one.
JessieG18
Rep:
?
(Original post by zetamcfc)
How long is this supposed to be?

Going over Fermat's last theorem will give you a broad knowledge of a lot of mathematics of the last 300 years, which you will not have encountered yet. bluebeetle suggestion of knot theory is very good, as realistically you won't need much knowledge going into it. The concept of infinite sets is always nice. Classification of finite simple groups is another one.
Eh about 3000 words ish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads