sanrijj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A bag contains yellow and blue blocks in the ratio 1:3. There are 8 more blue blocks than yellow blocks. How many blocks are there altogether?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What have you tried so far?

If you're totally stuck at the start, my hint would be to try to draw a diagram / bar model to show how many parts are assigned to each colour.
sanrijj
Rep:
?
What do you if you get a question that says more than something? I this case it there are 8 more blue blocks than yellow blocks.
That is what I really don't understand
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sanrijj)
What do you if you get a question that says more than something? I this case it there are 8 more blue blocks than yellow blocks.
That is what I really don't understand
Yes, there are 8 MORE blue blocks than yellow blocks.

My advice from the previous comment still stands, try to draw a diagram or a bar model showing how many parts of the ratio are assigned to each colour of block.
sanrijj
Rep:
?
How do you work out the more than part
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do you work out the more than part
Have you tried following the advice I've already given? I don't want to just give you the answer if you're not attempting anything yourself.

Here is a video that explains how you can use diagrams to help solve ratios, if you aren't sure what I mean by setting up a diagram / bar model : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUuEJSwV7yk
sanrijj
Rep:
?
Yes but I don't understand how to add the 8. I don't know if to multiple or add the 8
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes but I don't understand how to add the 8. I don't know if to multiple or add the 8
I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the question.

I recommend watching the video and trying to draw a diagram. That will help you visualise what is happening, and help you see what the 8 actually represents.
sanrijj
Rep:
?
Okay thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.24%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.98%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.49%

Watched Threads