Sixth Form Options - 4 A Levels including Art?

Watch
alicewantsana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it realistically possible to take Art alongside 3 other A Levels?

I've just submitted an application for 1 of 3 schools I'm applying to but I'm now considering taking Physics, as well as Art, Maths and Geography. I would like to do Architecture at uni, and my GCSE target grades are 7 for Maths, Physics and Geography, and 8 for Art.

Realistically, would I be able to keep up? I'm aware that art will take up lots of my time and frees anyway so I'm not sure if it would be worth the stress as I'm not amazing at timekeeping at the best of times. I do have the option of taking it and dropping it if it's too much though.
procrastinatingb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
in general I think I'd advise against taking 4 a levels - geography has a lot of coursework, and maths and physics are very demanding subjects in terms of content, maths in particular, and they're not easy. that's not to say any a level is 'easy' but maths and physics take a lot of constant effort to achieve well in. art is largely a coursework subject but I think it may be a bit much to manage on top of everything. but that's just my opinion - at the end of the day it's what you think you can realistically manage without having a breakdown haha
isabel13x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you would be better off taking 3 - it doesn’t make much of a difference in terms of university. I was planning to take 4, but I’m so happy I didn’t because I am overwhelmed at the minute and the thought of having a whole other A-level to worry about makes me shudder😅 it would be a lot easier for yourself to take 3. Hope this helps xx
alicewantsana
Rep:
?
bump
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alicewantsana)
bump
I think if you want to do architecture most degrees require art/design or something similar along with maths/physics although I think 4 will probably be too much especially as yours include art, have you considered not doing geography or dropping one after a term of year 12?
alicewantsana
Rep:
?
(Original post by procrastinatingb)
in general I think I'd advise against taking 4 a levels - geography has a lot of coursework, and maths and physics are very demanding subjects in terms of content, maths in particular, and they're not easy. that's not to say any a level is 'easy' but maths and physics take a lot of constant effort to achieve well in. art is largely a coursework subject but I think it may be a bit much to manage on top of everything. but that's just my opinion - at the end of the day it's what you think you can realistically manage without having a breakdown haha
(Original post by isabel13x)
I think you would be better off taking 3 - it doesn’t make much of a difference in terms of university. I was planning to take 4, but I’m so happy I didn’t because I am overwhelmed at the minute and the thought of having a whole other A-level to worry about makes me shudder😅 it would be a lot easier for yourself to take 3. Hope this helps xx
(Original post by Emily~3695)
I think if you want to do architecture most degrees require art/design or something similar along with maths/physics although I think 4 will probably be too much especially as yours include art, have you considered not doing geography or dropping one after a term of year 12?
I wanted to choose Geography as I'm also very interested in environmental and social sciences, and I wanted to keep my options open.

I think I will just go with what I originally put, thanks for your replies anyway!
schy8896
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, alicewantsana, I am also applying for 6th forms, and I personally think you should stick with 3 A levels, as the subjects you chose, are going to be hard to keep up with, and maybe pretty stressful. Since you want to take the architectural route, you should look into the subject requirements and if art would be useful for you, and if you would want to do it, then you should go for it.I did look into it and I found out that you would need more maths, science and English and then art, isn't really useful in the career you want to go into. I would suggest project design, instead of doing art, maybe if you would like to look into project design and maybe take it up as an A level as it would be very useful for you when studying architecture.As you have said, you are not the best at organising your time, so I suggest doing something that is going to help you succeed in your future and will at least keep the levels of stress low, so instead of adding extra workload and stress onto your shoulders keep it easy or manageable for you. Also, I think you should choose subjects that link and also link with architecture. Geography honestly doesn't really link, however, if it is something you want to do, then go for it.I wish you the best of luck in your exams and applications
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 won't give you an advantage for ucas applications, i'd just pick the 3 subjects that you're most interested in. if you do really enjoy art you can always do that as a hobby outside school.
i did a level maths and though i found it tough at times, it's definitely manageable if you put the work in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads