I am failing university (please help!)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I suffer with quite bad mental health issues that have been affecting my university studies like depression, BDD etc

I am currently on week 5 of university (doing computer science), and guess what, I have hardly revised since university started. Each week takes roughly 40 hours to complete (10 hours for each module) and there are weekly assignments which contribute 1% to your final grade and I have been failing most of them

I have coursework due in, in a week which is worth 25% of your final mark and it's java related. As I have hardly revised I would need to catch up with 50 hours of revision in a week on top of all the other module work; I have no prior java knowledge which makes it even worse

And it's not even like 'just work in small chunks' because either I do no revision or like 6-10 hours as 30 minutes a day wouldn't be enough, I have heaps of hours to catch up on with deadlines

I just don't know what to do anymore, my family are so so upset with me and said if I fail they will kick me out of the house

what do I do?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Hii there, I am so sorry for what you are going through. But you did a great thing in trying to reach out for help and I really admire the courage you have.

So the first thing you have to work on is your coursework that's about to due. Try seeking help from your lecturers or peers. You can just confess to your lecturer that you aren't catching up due to some problems (whether you would like to/not clarify what it is) and you would need some help with this work. And before this, I would really encouraged you to try out on your own first, starting with the basics of java for a few days (say 2/3?) before you ask for help from someone else. This will definitely help a lot for you will be able to grasp the idea better when you seek help from them.

For the revision these days, start out by simply going through the whole thing, knowing about how much you need exactly to work out on this coursework. Then spend a day working on the basics and the other for going through quickly on all other stuffs. This will help a lot since you will be having a strong basics.

For other module works, try to complete them whenever you feel like you aren't in the mood for the coursework you are working on now, but still do not spend too much time working on things of less importance (this only applies to your situation now)
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
As a summary:
1. Sort out your priorities.

2. Time management is really important:
a) day 1- go through the whole thing and start off with the VERY BASICS
b) day 2- go through the rest, skipping parts that are too difficult to understand and keep note of it
c) day 3 - you could continue your revision, or directly seek help from others to start your coursework (which I recommend the latter)

3. Use productivity apps to help you. I would recommend apps such as Forest or others.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Remember that you should not use this time to worry or think about top much. Just think about this: it's now or never.

I've been in your situation and I found out that my mental health problems come from me overthinking everything else. I pulled myself out by just thinking about striving about other stuffs, and diverting my focus on other stuffs. This might not be a long term solution as I recommend you seeing a consultant or psychiatrist. I have received much help from them.

And most importantly, if you are in a faith (such as I do), or you could just seek for God to be in your life, ask for peace from God. I eventually found out that my inner peace can only be achieved through Him and He is the source of joy and peace for me.

Lastly, I would just like to say that YOU DESERVE THE VERY BEST. Press on and go for it. You have greater potential than you think.

Who knows? One day, you might achieve something that is beyond your expectations.
YDG7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't like giving specific advice because of the peculiar ways I deal with similar problems to yours but I will tell you this as I am currently doing my master's so I have 4 years of experience of dealing with professors, administrators etc: Staff will be A LOT more understanding than you expect them to. Tell someone about your problem immediately (in my uni that would be the programme administrator) and I assure you they will be very helpful. And if you don't manage to address the issue (unlikely) you can always take a break-in/interruption year. For some context, I had similar issues to yours during my 2nd year of uni. Although I managed to get my award to a 2:1 by studying like a maniac during the 3rd year it was not worth it in the long run simply because I did not address the issue with a professional at that time. I did so last December and it has helped me in more ways than I imagined. So please seek some help, your uni probably offers some sort of student support of that nature. I know that you are thinking what EVERYONE else before you was thinking: 'there must be something wrong with me' but trust me there is nothing wrong with you and the help of a mental health professional is going to save your from a lot of future trouble.

All the best my friend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
32.03%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
7.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.56%

Watched Threads