Please could you read my essay and give me some tips on how to improve :)

Watch
a.g04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
“Homework has no value. Some students get it done for them; some don’t do it at all. Students should be relaxing in their free time.”

Write an article for a broadsheet newspaper in which you explain your point of view on this statement.

Helpful homework?

Should homework be abolished? A stimulating topic for controversial conversation all around the world. I think we all know students would jump to the opportunity do get out of some extra work for the weekend; to spend their days glued to social media over wrestling through bushels of homework. But do the hours of slogging through heaps of work actually have any benefit?

Many studies show that education through homework can drastically improve classwork, grades etc. However many other studies, which are just as reputable, have argued against this very point; seemingly stating that it is an inefficient way of schooling. So which side in this ceaseless conversation is correct.

I’d say… neither.

From my point of view each student learns in a different way, using different methods, and obtaining different grades. Some may argue that homework can help students to understand topics taught in schools with much more clarity, and to that I say… sure! Some students may find this way of taking their own initiative and reinforcing their knowledge to be invaluable to their education. Others… not so much. Once again I must highlight that each and every individual is different; just like the unique motif crafted onto each individual snowflake, each individual student’s education should be crafted in its own unique way.

On the other hand some may feel that homework can have a negative impact on the mental health of many students (particularly teenagers); creating a stressful environment not only at school, but also at home. School can already be seen to be governed by deadlines and students can sometimes feel they are in the constant shadow of work and the pressure to obtain good grades. For some, this can be an extremely trying environment and to bring this home, to an environment that should be stress-free and happy can be seen as an almost foolish idea. So is it really worth sacfrificing our childrens mental health for something that may not even improve their grades? Perhaps not.

Although, a students time management can be seen as a key factor throughout this debate. If a student has good time management and is able to complete their homework on time without pointless procrastination draining their hours away; this can create a stress-free environment at home, giving the student plenty of time to relax and enjoy their evening. However, many students find themselves distracted by the incessant pinging of their phone, begging them to check their messages, so perhaps we find ourselves back to the point that learning can be different for different students.

My opinion? I personally believe that if content is taught in an engaging and enthralling manner, then there is no need for our knowledge to be reinforced by homework. Rather, we can use this time to spend time with our family and on enriching our extracurricular hobbies, ultimately benefiting our overall development.
eleanorsarah05
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I love your use of tone, rhetorical questions and ellipses!!
a.g04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by eleanorsarah05)
I love your use of tone, rhetorical questions and ellipses!!
Aw thank you! My teacher's always telling me to use a wider range of punctuation ahaha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.89%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.11%

Watched Threads