Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Reading the news shocked me. And seeing photos of people crying painfully over their lost children is simply heartbreaking.

Just thought it would be a good idea to make a tribute to these victims by starting a thread of prayers / words of condolences.

Dear God,

I don't really understand why you have to let this horrible incident happen, but I know you must have a reason for it and that it breaks your heart as much as it breaks ours and those who care. Please watch over the victims of the tsunami strike and heal their pain, both physical and spiritual. I'm sorry if for one minute I had doubted you and thought you have abandoned us. Please forgive us of our sins and help all those in need. Please hear our cries to you and our prayers.

Amen.

ReputationRep:
    i pray for the tsunami victims too and hope that everything turns alright...

ReputationRep:
    I dont pray and i dont believe in god so i wont be praying....i actually havent even heard about this tsunami before :confused:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    I dont pray and i dont believe in god so i wont be praying....i actually havent even heard about this tsunami before :confused:.
    go online and read the news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Where have you been for the past 2 - 3 days?

ReputationRep:
    Praying is for lazy people who can't be arsed to do anything pro-active. Go join Amnesty International if you're so concerned about third-world welfare, and stop procrastinating and holding on to the vain hope that by thinking positive thoughts the world's ills will right themselves miraculously. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Where have you been for the past 2 - 3 days?
    Out.

No i think its just that i havent read a newspaper or watched much TV for the past week.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed sitting round with your hands clasped ain't gonna help

ReputationRep:
    God bless the victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccccecil)
    God bless the victims.
    Quite clearly he hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Sri Lanka and other S.E Asia Tsunami affected countries need your HELP!!

Websites

www.careinternational.co.uk
    www.redcross.co.uk Tel:08703332500
    www.sirasa.com
    www.clublk.us
    www.helpsl.org
    www.theacademic.org
    www.cse.lk

SL High Commision In UK

Tel;02072621841
    13 Hydepark gardens,
    London, W2 2LU

Pass this on!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I cant think of a better reason why NOT to pray! :mad: religion! Grrr... makes me angry! Pray to god because its just killed thousands of people and ruined thousands more lives at CHRISTMAS of all times! :mad: I cant think of a reason AT ALL why any caring god would do something like that... and don't give me the "god does it to test us" junk :mad: heard it all before.

Rather than just saying some meaningless words into thin air... I'm going to donate money to help the survivors!

ReputationRep:
    God, being fictional, isn't going to be much help.

dont be holding your breath for a miraculous return of the victims and rebuilding of the area. that wouldnt be part of gods will...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Praying is for lazy people who can't be arsed to do anything pro-active. Go join Amnesty International if you're so concerned about third-world welfare, and stop procrastinating and holding on to the vain hope that by thinking positive thoughts the world's ills will right themselves miraculously. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    Amen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    Dear God,

I don't really understand why you have to let this horrible incident happen, but I know you must have a reason for it and that it breaks your heart as much as it breaks ours and those who care. Please watch over the victims of the tsunami strike and heal their pain, both physical and spiritual. I'm sorry if for one minute I had doubted you and thought you have abandoned us. Please forgive us of our sins and help all those in need. Please hear our cries to you and our prayers.

Amen.
    I would really hate to know you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikernes)
    I would really hate to know you.
    You know what? You have issues. I have 2 teachers from my school missing. One I even saw his girlfriend on tv crying and just holding onto his picture and he was supposed to be on Phi Phi Island when the Tsunami hit it. Another i'm really close to...who was getting married in thailand...and the school as well as another teacher who's a close friend with him is still trying to contact him. If you hate me because you think I don't give a damn and am being pretentiously sympathetic then honestly i think you can go to hell. Because I am worried sick and if they are gone...it will be the 3rd time someone around me died since november. Oh nevermind...so I really don't have the energy to even argue with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eurasianfeline)
    You know what? You have issues. I have 2 teachers from my school missing. One I even saw his girlfriend on tv crying and just holding onto his picture and he was supposed to be on Phi Phi Island when the Tsunami hit it. Another i'm really close to...who was getting married in thailand...and the school as well as another teacher who's a close friend with him is still trying to contact him. If you hate me because you think I don't give a damn and am being pretentiously sympathetic then honestly i think you can go to hell. Because I am worried sick and if they are gone...it will be the 3rd time someone around me died since november. Oh nevermind...so I really don't have the energy to even argue with you.
    i doubt anyone is questioning your sincerity, but rather the cold fact that your prayers will do no practical good whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i doubt anyone is questioning your sincerity, but rather the cold fact that your prayers will do no practical good whatsoever.
    If i can fly over to thailand now to look for them I honestly would. My friend and I and her parents are phoning them and the immigration to try and contact them and we've left so many messages but still no news. Our deputy head is frantic as well...we just can't imagine another funeral or memorial...not them...not now. I'm sorry if praying seem pathetic to you because my friend and i are so scared we just don't know what to do. And Vikernes...sorry for yelling at you...I just lost it just now...i know it's no excuse but sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't hijack other peoples threads. Religion helps some people cope at a time like this and thats fair enough. And as for religion doing no good alot of the christian relief agencies are helping so that has to do some good.
    I'm not personally religious but this isn't the time to turn this thread into a religious debate. If you don't want to pray bugger off out of the thread. You can argue to your hearts content elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    My beliefs don't really entail a god/godess who controls things like weather an earthquake/Tsunami kills many people. However I do believe in a god and goddess who can try and make things better in asia. I have been praying each night since it has happend and I will continue to do so. I have also contributed to the red cross because I think that people who care even if religious should also help with money if possible. This is the site I used if anyone else was looking for one http://www.bluepeter.redcross.org.uk...eal/appeal.htm

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2004
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.