Healthy long-term relationships

Watch
Dannyj671
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What are some of the main characteristics of couples in functional and productive long-term relationships?
nathan1403
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Communication is key, as well as mutual trust and respect, and I guess things like similar values help too
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trust
Communication
Loving
Respect
Understanding
Listening to understand
Honesty
Supportive
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trust
Honesty
Loyalty
Supportive
Emotional intelligence
Appreciation
Communication
Consistency
Affection ( meeting their love language)
Being a good listener
Respectful
Maturity
Observant ( if there’s a problem or they look/ act different) KEY!
Last edited by Geraldthegoat; 1 month ago
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What the above users mentioned plus physical attraction.
username5447420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Every Successful relationship MUST have the following.
1. Loyalty
2. Trust
3. Honesty
4. Support
5. Compassion

These are pretty obvious but you'd be amazed at the number of people that get this wrong which leads to friction in relationships. There are also of course other things that can greatly improve your relationships and love life.

1. Physical needs, You MUST cater to your partner's physical needs, that isn't just sex, it can be kissing, cuddling, hugging, caressing, massaging, sex and just about any physical intimate thing that they like, and vice versa your partner should also make an effort to satisfy your physical needs as well. A really good example of this done badly is guys who don't make their partners orgasm, don't even bother to ask them if they are enjoying/are getting off when they have sex and just finish and then give up. I think most girls especially can see that can cause problems further down the line.

2. Emotional needs, you need to tell your partner that you love them or have feelings for them, you need to tell them that they are beautiful and give them positive affirmations, these can massively increase a persons confidence and love for you. This works both ways, too often girls expect a guy to lavish them with affection and gifts but rarely reciprocate.

3. Spiritual needs, as a couple you must both know where the relationship is going, and that you both have a vision for each other in each other's futures. This won't be needed right at the start of a relationship but as things get more serious you should be having conversations about where you want to end up.

There are hundreds potentially thousands of qualities that make a great partner and each and every person will have different opinions on what qualities they look for in a partner, the trick is finding someone who has good qualities that gel well with yours and growing together and becoming great.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise