The Student Room Group

Is it necessary to use Social Media at 17?

I feel pressured to use social media by a lot of people, media etc...
I figure at uni I will need it but is there a need to use social media at my age?
All i use is WhatsApp and that's it really lol
Original post by Anonymous
I figure at uni I will need it but is there a need to use social media at my age?

I got social media from the age of 12 and really wish I hadn’t. It opened up a door of insecurities and problems for me. I would hold off for as long as you can because you’re honestly not missing out on much! In terms of university, WhatsApp should be enough. Most of the time peers and class mates will try communicating about the work and WhatsApp is a good way of doing that. Also, Snapchat is not bad. I got Snapchat and it’s the best type of social media I have. It’s very private in terms of settings and you can still communicate with friends/ family etc. It’s also a helpful way to send notes to each-other through snaps etc. It helped me a lot through university however, it’s not the end of the world if you do not have it ... WhatsApp is good enough!

its not necessary at all ! i feel the same and it stresses me out. i have it it helps with communicating but i dont post anything. but whatsapp is perfectly fine to use
Reply 3
Original post by hihi1111
its not necessary at all ! i feel the same and it stresses me out. i have it it helps with communicating but i dont post anything. but whatsapp is perfectly fine to use

thx xx
Reply 4
thx xx

I'm in the exact same position at 17 - don't use social media other than whatsapp and that's primarily family stuff. Luckily, I don't feel any pressure to really get into contact through social media although I had a phase with snapchat that I ended w/my gcse's coming up last year.
Of course I will still use facebook/snapchat when I need it at uni or if there really is no other convenient way but otherwise, who the fu** cares!
Only use social media if u want to use it... but yes it will be helpful for group chats etc in uni or for study groups, u can get it but it doesn’t mean u need to be on it all the time or posting on it constantly either.
nah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending