Can you spend too long traveling?

Watch
augustusiii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Since I finished my Undergrad in 2014, I spent a total of 5 years travelling without much of a break. Obviously I was working abroad in different countries for some of this time, but never in "professional" graduate type job. Do you think I have hindered my future career prospects by doing this?

I'm almost 30, but don't have any real work experience in any kind of professional sphere. The closest I have come to this is working as researcher for an art gallery for 3 months.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At least you will have something to look back on in your old age.
augustusiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
At least you will have something to look back on in your old age.
Whilst being poor due to not having had a career. Memories are always good though.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by augustusiii)
Since I finished my Undergrad in 2014, I spent a total of 5 years travelling without much of a break. Obviously I was working abroad in different countries for some of this time, but never in "professional" graduate type job. Do you think I have hindered my future career prospects by doing this?

I'm almost 30, but don't have any real work experience in any kind of professional sphere. The closest I have come to this is working as researcher for an art gallery for 3 months.
Depends exactly what sort of career you want, and what you consider life is for and what you want to achieve in life. But if you are asking whether you've lost out in terms of the conventional professional career, wearing a suit, going in to an office 9-5 and aspirations to make it to Director/Board level with a house in London and a 2nd home in the Cotswolds then yes, obviously you have hindered that! But are you really looking to have those sort of career prospects?
alex282
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Will it hinder your progress in a career? Probably, competitive is at an all-time high and you have to go out of your way breaking your back to get anywehere

Was it worth it, definitely! It is my belief that life should have as many experiences as possible and not just focused on your career sitting in the same old job forever
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst being poor due to not having had a career. Memories are always good though.
Meh, having career and working 9-5 is a pretty miserable existence and having lots of money is not the be all and end all.
augustusiii
Rep:
?
Meh, having career and working 9-5 is a pretty miserable existence and having lots of money is not the be all and end all.
Whilst this is true, I'd eventually like a decent career and to own a property. I spent 5 years at University and I don't want it to go to waste, but then again the majority of graduates in my age group are settled into careers.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst this is true, I'd eventually like a decent career and to own a property. I spent 5 years at University and I don't want it to go to waste, but then again the majority of graduates in my age group are settled into careers.
What did you study? Surely you can still use your degree and get a job in a related field? The travelling will make you stand out and it's not like you have no work experience at all...
augustusiii
Rep:
?
What did you study? Surely you can still use your degree and get a job in a related field? The travelling will make you stand out and it's not like you have no work experience at all...
This is true, but it is hard being unemployed and almost 30. I’m getting rejected from every job I apply for.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by alex282)
Will it hinder your progress in a career? Probably, competitive is at an all-time high and you have to go out of your way breaking your back to get anywehere

Was it worth it, definitely! It is my belief that life should have as many experiences as possible and not just focused on your career sitting in the same old job forever
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads