The Student Room Group

angle of refraction at the surface of water?

I have done saveral questions on refrective indexes and used the equation

N = sin i/ sin r

but i coudnt associate the below question with the formula as its asking me at the surface.. (Im not sure whether the above formula would be correct for this situation?)

A light ray in water is directed at the water surface at an angle of incidence of 40 degrees.

Calculate the angle of refraction of the light at this surface?
Reply 1
CyberKid

N = sin i/ sin r

but i coudnt associate the below question with the formula as its asking me at the surface.. (Im not sure whether the above formula would be correct for this situation?)

A light ray in water is directed at the water surface at an angle of incidence of 40 degrees.

You know i.
You know N.
So rearrange to find r.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. You say you have done several questions already. This is about the simplest I can think of - what were they?
Original post by Morbo
You know i.
You know N.
So rearrange to find r.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. You say you have done several questions already. This is about the simplest I can think of - what were they?

The answer that you get is you do that is 28.9 degrees. The textbook answers say the answer should be 58.7 degrees...

So clearly your method isn't enough...?
Reply 3
Original post by CyberKid

N = sin i/ sin r

Original post by AMaster1
The answer that you get is you do that is 28.9 degrees. The textbook answers say the answer should be 58.7 degrees...

post a pic of the question

i) Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray at this surface.

ii) Sketch the path of the light ray showing the normal and the angles if incidence and refraction.

i) Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray at this surface.

ii) Sketch the path of the light ray showing the normal and the angles if incidence and refraction.

If it's coming from air you know a) the angle of incidence b) refractive index of air c) you should be given the refractive index of water d) You can use Snell's law of refraction nA Sinθ A = nB Sinθ B surely ?

Snells' law says

sin(i)/sin(r) = nr/ni

if the ray starts in air and is incident on a boundary with water
nr/ni
evaluates to nr/1.0 = nr
because the refractive index of air is 1.0

if the ray starts in water and is incident on a boundary with air you need to work out the fraction.

PS this thread is 9 years old - it's better to start a new thread when you have a problem
Original post by Joinedup
Snells' law says

sin(i)/sin(r) = nr/ni

if the ray starts in air and is incident on a boundary with water
nr/ni
evaluates to nr/1.0 = nr
because the refractive index of air is 1.0

if the ray starts in water and is incident on a boundary with air you need to work out the fraction.

PS this thread is 9 years old - it's better to start a new thread when you have a problem

I didn't even look at the date hahahaha wow ! I just replied when I saw a question about physics :tongue:
Original post by Joinedup

I know, but I was just reading through and thought, well why not?
the year is 2021, and i am struggling with this same question

W U T
the correct way to answer this question is by multiplying the refractive index by the angle of refraction so, 1.33 * sin(40) = Sin-1(Ans). [This is in a calculator by the way]= 58.7I know the question asks calculate the angle of refraction but it can only be done by actually calculating the angle of incidence so your welcome guys
Original post by Kashmoney215
the correct way to answer this question is by multiplying the refractive index by the angle of refraction so, 1.33 * sin(40) = Sin-1(Ans). [This is in a calculator by the way]= 58.7I know the question asks calculate the angle of refraction but it can only be done by actually calculating the angle of incidence so your welcome guys

youre right but surely that means the question is wrong then? Thanks for the help anyways

Latest