studybelle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are the module options for studying music at Durham the only ones mentioned on the website?

Year 1:
Historical Studies 1
EITHERPerformance 1: Practice Through History (with Recital) OR Performance 1: Practice Through History (with Essay)
Musical Techniques (Harmony and Counterpoint)
Composition 1: Twentieth Century Innovations
Introduction to Ethnomusicology
Analysis 1: Elements of Tonal Theory and Practice

Year 2:

In the second year, you will undertake one compulsory module – 'Historical Studies 2: The Twentieth Century' – and choose five modules from a broad menu. As an alternative, you may choose to take a module in another department.

Examples of Optional modules:
Composition 2: New Directions in Art Music
Creative Music Technology
Performance 2: Practice as Research
Advanced Musical Techniques
Theory and Analysis
Orchestration
Conducting
World Music Traditions
Studies in Popular Music
Studies in the History of Opera
Music and Science
Philosophy, Music and Improvisation
The Music of India.

Year 3:

The third-year of this course is structured around a compulsory double-weighted independent project, which can take the form of a musicological dissertation, a composition portfolio, a techniques portfolio (pastiche compositions), or a 40-minute solo recital. All students are required to do one of these. In addition, you will choose four other modules, selecting from the list of third year modules (which in previous years has included the modules below) and the second year menu (above). Other possible options are to undertake a single-weighted project (again, a dissertation, composition, techniques portfolio, or performance) and/or pursue a module in another department.

Contemporary Music Performance
Music and Politics in France 1789–1815
The Music of India
Performance 3: Recorded Performance Project
Time and Rhythm
Studies in Electronic Music
Psychology of Music
Advanced Ethnomusicology
Studies in Symphonic Analysis
Words and Music
Britten's Chamber Opera's
Music Theology.
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by studybelle)
Are the module options for studying music at Durham the only ones mentioned on the website?

Year 1:
Historical Studies 1
EITHERPerformance 1: Practice Through History (with Recital) OR Performance 1: Practice Through History (with Essay)
Musical Techniques (Harmony and Counterpoint)
Composition 1: Twentieth Century Innovations
Introduction to Ethnomusicology
Analysis 1: Elements of Tonal Theory and Practice

Year 2:

In the second year, you will undertake one compulsory module – 'Historical Studies 2: The Twentieth Century' – and choose five modules from a broad menu. As an alternative, you may choose to take a module in another department.

Examples of Optional modules:
Composition 2: New Directions in Art Music
Creative Music Technology
Performance 2: Practice as Research
Advanced Musical Techniques
Theory and Analysis
Orchestration
Conducting
World Music Traditions
Studies in Popular Music
Studies in the History of Opera
Music and Science
Philosophy, Music and Improvisation
The Music of India.

Year 3:

The third-year of this course is structured around a compulsory double-weighted independent project, which can take the form of a musicological dissertation, a composition portfolio, a techniques portfolio (pastiche compositions), or a 40-minute solo recital. All students are required to do one of these. In addition, you will choose four other modules, selecting from the list of third year modules (which in previous years has included the modules below) and the second year menu (above). Other possible options are to undertake a single-weighted project (again, a dissertation, composition, techniques portfolio, or performance) and/or pursue a module in another department.

Contemporary Music Performance
Music and Politics in France 1789–1815
The Music of India
Performance 3: Recorded Performance Project
Time and Rhythm
Studies in Electronic Music
Psychology of Music
Advanced Ethnomusicology
Studies in Symphonic Analysis
Words and Music
Britten's Chamber Opera's
Music Theology.
Course structure for most courses at most universities change all the time. For my course, which is at a different uni and entirely unrelated to yours, changed from mostly optional modules in Y2 to all compulsory modules in the space of a year. So though this is the general idea for modules that they currently teach, this will probably change. However, that looks like around the right number of modules that a university would offer so it's safe to assume that's what they are at this point in time.
studybelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
Course structure for most courses at most universities change all the time. For my course, which is at a different uni and entirely unrelated to yours, changed from mostly optional modules in Y2 to all compulsory modules in the space of a year. So though this is the general idea for modules that they currently teach, this will probably change. However, that looks like around the right number of modules that a university would offer so it's safe to assume that's what they are at this point in time.
Kl, thx
Do you think there’s options to do your own mini research projects outside the syllabus?
DoNotMove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Kl, thx
Do you think there’s options to do your own mini research projects outside the syllabus?
Yes but I won't count toward your final grade.
studybelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
Yes but I won't count toward your final grade.
That sounds fab-it’d be nice to know some advice on balancing the curriculum and your personal academic interests
DoNotMove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That sounds fab-it’d be nice to know some advice on balancing the curriculum and your personal academic interests
It depends on the course, as I don't know how many hours you're expected to do a week in course study. My course is one of the most intensive at my university (Maths & Computer Science), and I personally find very little time to pursue interests in the field of maths and computer science, preferring to do things unrelated to my course (music, quizzing). You underestimate how much work goes into your course, though it settles down a little after a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.37%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (82)
19.39%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.46%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.31%

Watched Threads