The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Why are LSE grads much preferred over Oxbridge grads for banks/hedgefunds/consulting?

I know LSE is better for economics and some other subject with slightly better research quality overall but is it really that much better than Oxbridge?

I've heard that LSE grads are twice as likely to be selected in these areas and also have a similar selection rate in the civil service fast stream.

Why has LSE produced so many more billionaires and non-UK heads of government than Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps bc people at Oxbridge tend to be deeply passionate about their subject, hence most branch into academia (which let's be real, isn't as high paying as banking, meaning fewer billionaires are produced) whereas people who go to LSE use their university experience as a stepping stone to get them to where they want to be (i.e. a job in finance) hence load up on internships etc. while they're there and delve into finance easily once they graduate. Like if you got into Oxbridge/LSE, you have as good a shot at getting into IB with a degree from entire university but the point here is that the statistics you see are just skewed that bc more LSE people try to get into IB whereas Oxbridge academics don't.. This is just my POV btw, I might be wrong.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
It's well known that LSE academics produce higher quality economics research by almost every measure. This is also true for other social science disciplines.

Many more economics nobel prize winners are affiliated with LSE than Oxbridge (combined). In fact as of 2016, 27% (or 13 out of 48) of all the Nobel Prizes in Economics were awarded or jointly awarded to people affiliated with LSE.

So it's not just for graduate earnings and job acceptance rates that LSE is considered better.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tsrholicc
It's well known that LSE academics produce higher quality economics research by almost every measure. This is also true for other social science disciplines.

Many more economics nobel prize winners are affiliated with LSE than Oxbridge (combined). In fact as of 2016, 27% (or 13 out of 48) of all the Nobel Prizes in Economics were awarded or jointly awarded to people affiliated with LSE.

So it's not just for graduate earnings and job acceptance rates that LSE is considered better.

Okay, nice. Good to know.
Out of curiosity, what is it that you've got against Oxbridge so badly? I've noticed that you have started numerous threads bashing them & saying that other universities are better. You're entitled to do whatever you want as it's a free country, hence I'm not trying to tell you to stop or anything but from an outside POV, it seems as if you hold a grudge or am experiencing some angst against Oxbridge. Why?
Reply 4
Original post by confuzzledteen
Okay, nice. Good to know.
Out of curiosity, what is it that you've got against Oxbridge so badly? I've noticed that you have started numerous threads bashing them & saying that other universities are better. You're entitled to do whatever you want as it's a free country, hence I'm not trying to tell you to stop or anything but from an outside POV, it seems as if you hold a grudge or am experiencing some angst against Oxbridge. Why?

I really doubt you're being sincere while calling this information "nice" and "good to know".... Just a post earlier you were making up a big lie that Oxbridge is better academically for economics. Now I see that most of your posts are about Cambridge applications for economics. lol. I don't think you even feel ashamed for grossly lying like that.

Anyways don't go off topic. Or you can leave. Thanks.
Reply 5
I really doubt you're being sincere while calling this information "nice" and "good to know".... Just a post earlier you were making up a big lie that Oxbridge is better academically for economics. Now I see that most of your posts are about Cambridge applications for economics. lol. I don't think you even feel ashamed for grossly lying like that.

lol who hurt you
I know someone who is studying Economics at Cambridge. She received 5 internship offers at investment banks and a job offer before she is even in her final year. Starting salary? £80k.

That's enough attention from investment banks for anyone to handle.
Reply 7
Another reason is LSE is right in the centre of London so many of the graduates who have been in London where all of the businesses are located continue their careers there.
Reply 8
Original post by Mikos
lol who hurt you

^ This is another militant who has no problem with desperate lies being spread to put down better unis.

His/her account history is also filled with Cambridge related discussions.
Reply 9
^ This is another militant who has no problem with desperate lies being spread to put down better unis.

His/her account history is also filled with Cambridge related discussions.

Sounds like someone is bitter because Oxford or Cambridge rejected them and are now choosing to embark on an online crusade against them
Reply 10
Original post by Mikos
Sounds like someone is bitter because Oxford or Cambridge rejected them and are now choosing to embark on an online crusade against them

Begone militant!
Gotta love people who are have what seems like almost patriotic tendancies towards a university.
hmmm Oxford and Cambridge have dozens of teams on University Challenge... Elsie can only manage 1 :dontknow:

:hmmmm2:

I've applied to LSE as well, and have an equal number of posts regarding both universities (as you love bolding things, thought I'd give it a try). Thus, your point is moot. And yeah, glad you can sense sarcasm! Never even said that Oxbridge is better academically for Economics btw, can you read? I just said that I think more people there delve into academia but clearly this point has been disproven by your data, though I'm sure if I bothered to look at another year of data (other than 2016), I'd find data to back up my points as well. You've got to chill lmao,, LSE and Oxbridge are both amazing universities for Economics so I don't know why you're trying to bash the latter universities.
Reply 14
I'm sure if I bothered to look at another year of data (other than 2016), I'd find data to back up my points as well.

Nonsense. Whether it's the research excellence framework or anything else, LSE is miles ahead of Oxbridge especially for economics. Even the UK government uses LSE research more than Oxbridge research overall.

You're just hell bent on bringing LSE down to the level of Oxbridge!
Reply 15
I've applied to LSE as well, and have an equal number of posts regarding both universities (as you love bolding things, thought I'd give it a try). Thus, your point is moot. And yeah, glad you can sense sarcasm! Never even said that Oxbridge is better academically for Economics btw, can you read? I just said that I think more people there delve into academia but clearly this point has been disproven by your data, though I'm sure if I bothered to look at another year of data (other than 2016), I'd find data to back up my points as well. You've got to chill lmao,, LSE and Oxbridge are both amazing universities for Economics so I don't know why you're trying to bash the latter universities.

I’m applying to both Cambridge and LSE too haha, for law though :smile:
Nonsense. Whether it's the research excellence framework or anything else, LSE is miles ahead of Oxbridge especially for economics. Even the UK government uses LSE research more than Oxbridge research overall.

You're just hell bent on bringing LSE down to the level of Oxbridge!

Lol miles ahead is a stretch, then ESPECIALLY for economics. Don't kid yourself. It's like flipping a coin between the 3 universities for economics. They're all very prestigious. Starting salaries are very similar. E&M from Oxford actually topped the earnings for all degrees a little while back. It may have changed.
If you really want to start using statistics then the reality is that Cambridge Econ grads make almost 10k more 5 years after graduation than Econ grads from LSE, and even UCL Econ grads make more on average 5 years after graduation than LSE. These statistics don't matter because Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and UCL all prepare very well for a career in finance and for postgraduate studies and honestly just because someone gets a BSc in Economics from LSE doesn't mean that they as an individual are more likely to win a Nobel Prize in Economics than someone who receives a BA in Economics from Cambridge.
Original post by Mikos
I’m applying to both Cambridge and LSE too haha, for law though :smile:

Oh good luck, hope you get offers from both! :smile: What college did you apply to?
Reply 19
Oh good luck, hope you get offers from both! :smile: What college did you apply to?

You too! Fingers crossed for us both :smile:
I applied to Downing, Wbu??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending