Rosvaldas
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello I was wondering if maybe someone here studied or is studying Renewable Energy (Undergraduate) ? Im interesting in Solar energy, Wind energy etc., Which Uni and which course i should choose to get in this industry ? Im from Birmingham and i couldn't find any renewable energy courses in birmingham, even 50miles from birmingham. Can someone please help me or give me some advice how to get in this industry ? Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Rosvaldas; 4 weeks ago
Fartershop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rosvaldas)
Hello I was wondering if maybe someone here studied or is studying Renewable Energy (Undergraduate) ? Im interesting in Solar energy, Wind energy etc., Which Uni and which course i should choose to get in this industry ? Im from Birmingham and i couldn't find any renewable energy courses in birmingham, even 50miles from birmingham. Can someone please help me or give me some advice how to get in this industry ? Thanks a lot.
Keep in mind my undergrad years were over 10 years ago (born in '89 a.k.a. the year American thug "culcha", *****y raves, and Airbus A320 flying started), but being an electrical engineering major I was able to take or be offered some classes that impact this field. Here are my thoughts:

- Smart grid technology: involves computer networking and feedback control system courses.
- Power systems and distribution: lots of work is needed here if we are to integrate PV cells (DC) into our existing AC networks. This is everything from semiconductor physics courses to fields and waves (power lines aren't just simple conductors), and much more in other disciplines in engineering (see below).

If you don't go the EE route, the other big area to look at is going into materials or chemical engineering to work on electrical storage systems (batteries). Right now, current battery tech just does not have the energy density to keep things running after dark or when the wind dies down. In addition, there are still issues with toxic chemicals being released during battery disposal that need to he addressed.

Hope this helps. I've lost my aerospace job during this mess and would like to get until this field also, but being right out of school will help you tremendously.
Fartershop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also, see if you can join a research project:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/energy/index.aspx
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was waiting for someone to reply to you, I’m not a student but a researcher in an international research centre for renewable energy. One of our biggest/best contacts in uk is the university of Loughborough, they are very professional and hardworking partners in several international consortiums/consortia - look them up! (They are 45 mins by car north of Brum centre)

CREST Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/cre...photovoltaics/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads