Would you consider dating your second cousin?

Watch
Crosseyedsphynx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 23 hes 27, we started chatting last year and get on really well but I've always kept my distance as I feel like he might like me more than friends/family, I can't look at it any other way than incest. but if I was to go forward and pursue something romantic with him my question is what do people actually think of second cousins dating? am I the only one who sees it as incest or is it not? I'd never actually pursue this so anyone who's about to hate on me for asking this question, don't worry I haven't lost my marbles.
Just would be interesting to see peoples thoughts on this.
Also I hope I haven't offended anyone who is dating their cousins.
Thanks.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Crosseyedsphynx)
I am 23 hes 27, we started chatting last year and get on really well but I've always kept my distance as I feel like he might like me more than friends/family, I can't look at it any other way than incest. but if I was to go forward and pursue something romantic with him my question is what do people actually think of second cousins dating? am I the only one who sees it as incest or is it not? I'd never actually pursue this so anyone who's about to hate on me for asking this question, don't worry I haven't lost my marbles.
Thanks.
I think its normal practice cousins marrying in Pakistan india etc dk about uk.but if u do it it wouldn't be considered incest he is not ur brother.do what u wanna do
Max1357913
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean The Beast off the chase was married to his second cousin - make of that what you will
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, if they can be referred to by a familal title then I'm not going anywhere near them.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Max1357913)
I mean The Beast off the chase was married to his second cousin - make of that what you will
And look at how that ended.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. End of.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks.
It shouldn’t really matter what anyone else thinks, should it?

Scientifically speaking if you happen to end up having children together (which is a big if), then the risk of them being born with a genetic disorder is a tiny bit higher than it would otherwise have been, given that you share about 3% of your DNA with him.

Perhaps there’s also a risk that if you end up having a very acrimonious break-up, then you’ve also lost a family member. But depending on what your existing relationship is you may or may not actually see him as a family member.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
nah
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, never.
ohwowow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks.
er its incest
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol one of my cousins used to show her friends a picture of me and lie that I was her boyfriend when we were kids.

Also no.
blackprincessxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, I'd never do that.
blackprincessxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
lol one of my cousins used to show her friends a picture of me and lie that I was her boyfriend when we were kids.

Also no.
What the-
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
username5447420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks.
It doesn't matter what random people on TSR think,

What matters is what do your entire family and friends think, those are the people that you will have to see every single day and if all or most of them are disgusted by it (which is probably likely) then your relationship would be marred by this constantly.

if you think your second cousin is your absolute soulmate and that you are 100% gonna live happily ever after and you can deal with the stigma surrounding you for the rest of your life, sure go for it. But If not, its almost certainly not worth it.
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't speak to my cousins.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wouldnt personally, but wouldnt judge either, not that weird imo
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Marrying first cousins is legal, officially not incest, but a bit too close genetically to be advisable in my opinion.
I'd saying marrying second cousins is fine. I've never even met a fair few of mine - and I'd say that's pretty normal - so you could easily land up with one without even realising for quite a while. do you know all the descendants of all your great grandparents?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
My dad wants my sister to marry one of our cousins in Pakistan but she only sees him as a relative but my dad was saying how if she was to say no, it would ruin the relationship between the relatives and our family. She also doesn’t want to because she’d have to work hard to own a house etc whilst he’d probably only have education from Pakistan.
most people from Pakistan/ India tend to marry distant relatives but in the UK it’s not really as common apart from in those cultures
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (89)
19.47%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (43)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.1%

Watched Threads