The Student Room Group

Complex inequalities

I cannot solve these questions at all. Can someone help me?

0132D8DB-0C55-4DB8-A0C8-7B168E28325F.jpeg17CED84F-5F86-48A9-92F6-682C131AA4D8.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Can you use demoivre for the denominator in a) & b)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Can you use demoivre for the denominator in a) & b)

Yes, but this is what happens:

IMG_9178.jpg
Original post by lamijathepanda
Yes, but this is what happens:

IMG_9178.jpg

The solution is supposed to be 8192i in this one. I'd appreciate any help!
Reply 4
Not sure about the first 2/3, but the last 1/3 seems about right. What's stopping you finish?
Tbh it's probably easier to represent in polar form at the start and use that throughout. 2^13 is obviously the magnitude of the numerator.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Not sure about the first 2/3, but the last 1/3 seems about right. What's stopping you finish?
Tbh it's probably easier to represent in polar form at the start and use that throughout. 2^13 is obviously the magnitude of the numerator.

I tried to do that, but I cannot manage the values in cos and sin. I tried to work it out in polar form, but I thought it would be easier to do it like this.
Reply 6
I tried to do that, but I cannot manage the values in cos and sin. I tried to work it out in polar form, but I thought it would be easier to do it like this.

It should just be a few lines in polar form? One of the advantages is you don't get too concerned about the cos/sin etc. Its ~30 degrees on top and ~15 on the bottom. Then just multiply to raise to the power and subtract to divide.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
The solution is supposed to be 8192i in this one. I'd appreciate any help!

You've made an awful lot of work for yourself there by not using exponential form :smile:

The bracket in the denominator is clearly eiπ/12e^{-i\pi/12} so its 8th power is therefore e2iπ/3e^{-2i\pi/3}

The bracket in the numerator is almost a well known combination of trig values, but is multiplied by 2. So if you take out a factor of 2, you can rewrite that bracket as eiπ/ke^{-i\pi/k} where k is an integer. The numerator then becomes 213e13iπ/k2^{13} \cdot e^{-13i\pi/k}.

Conveniently, 2^13 = 8192 which is what you want, and that exponential simplifies after remembering that e2iπe^{-2i\pi} = 1.

You should then be able to combine the remaining exponential on the numerator with the one on the denominator :smile:
Original post by davros
You've made an awful lot of work for yourself there by not using exponential form :smile:

The bracket in the denominator is clearly eiπ/12e^{-i\pi/12} so its 8th power is therefore e2iπ/3e^{-2i\pi/3}

The bracket in the numerator is almost a well known combination of trig values, but is multiplied by 2. So if you take out a factor of 2, you can rewrite that bracket as eiπ/ke^{-i\pi/k} where k is an integer. The numerator then becomes 213e13iπ/k2^{13} \cdot e^{-13i\pi/k}.

Conveniently, 2^13 = 8192 which is what you want, and that exponential simplifies after remembering that e2iπe^{-2i\pi} = 1.

You should then be able to combine the remaining exponential on the numerator with the one on the denominator :smile:

That was exactly the problem, but I managed to work it out myself later. The mistake was that I did not rationalise the final expression completely, and when I'd done that, I had the proper solution. Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest