Need help - Student Finance says I need to apply elsewhere

Watch
Clure
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am due to start a masters in social work in January 2021 in Scotland.

SAAS will not provide me with a tuition fees loan because they say it is the responsibility of SSSC (Scottish Social Services Council). But SSSC say I am ineligible for this as I am not a UK resident.

So I was told by my university to apply for financial support from Student Finance England, but when I went to apply, I was told to go back to SAAS. However as explained, I'm not eligible.

I'm really worried now as I was relying on a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. Any advice would be appreciated.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clure)
I am due to start a masters in social work in January 2021 in Scotland.

SAAS will not provide me with a tuition fees loan because they say it is the responsibility of SSSC (Scottish Social Services Council). But SSSC say I am ineligible for this as I am not a UK resident.

So I was told by my university to apply for financial support from Student Finance England, but when I went to apply, I was told to go back to SAAS. However as explained, I'm not eligible.

I'm really worried now as I was relying on a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Clure, where are you residing?
Thanks, Isaac
Clure
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Clure, where are you residing?
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac, I am residing in Ireland.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clure)
Hi Isaac, I am residing in Ireland.
Republic or Northern? Have you always lived there? Have you ever lived in England?
Thanks, Isaac
Clure
Rep:
?
Republic or Northern? Have you always lived there? Have you ever lived in England?
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac, I live in the republic of Ireland, I have never lived in England. But I have siblings who have lived there most of their lives.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clure)
Hi Isaac, I live in the republic of Ireland, I have never lived in England. But I have siblings who have lived there most of their lives.
You are classed as an EU applicant and can apply for EU funding by completing the EU20N form http://ow.ly/7u9n30qioFw
Thanks, Isaac
Clure
Rep:
?
You are classed as an EU applicant and can apply for EU funding by completing the EU20N form http://ow.ly/7u9n30qioFw
Thanks, Isaac
I have just begun the process of filling out the EU20N form and there is no postgraduate funding option. Is this application for undergraduate only? As mentioned in my initial post I am starting a Masters. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clure)
I have just begun the process of filling out the EU20N form and there is no postgraduate funding option. Is this application for undergraduate only? As mentioned in my initial post I am starting a Masters. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Apologies, I misread your post and sent the undergraduate form. In that case you must apply to SAAS if you are studying in Scotland as an EU applicant.

EU applicants can only apply for the SFE postgraduate loan if studying in England.
Thanks, Isaac
Clure
Rep:
?
In my original post I explained to you that SAAS will not provide me with funding. They have said that SSSC must provide funding, but they’ve told me I’m not eligible either. I was told
to go to student finance England.

Can you please advise me what to do?? I am stuck now because nowhere will give me funding and I’m really worried.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clure)
In my original post I explained to you that SAAS will not provide me with funding. They have said that SSSC must provide funding, but they’ve told me I’m not eligible either. I was told
to go to student finance England.

Can you please advise me what to do?? I am stuck now because nowhere will give me funding and I’m really worried.
You are not eligible for SFE funding unless you study in England. If SAAS are not awarding you funding then you would have to study in England to apply to SFE. Alternatively you will have to self fund your course if you prefer to study in Scotland and SAAS won't fund you.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
29%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (45)
22.5%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (20)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise