Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what do u think?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thinking is one thing, obviously there’s a big cloud of vfm around oxbridge, and many genuine questions from the students & parents. (vfm … Value For Money)

but as a scientific engineering person, I don’t mind a little experimentation. Not perfection, just simple. Let’s do a word frequency count “oxbridge” against an antithesis, I did it blind, no preselection - just chose somewhere sensible up-north.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sea...query=Oxbridge
Search Results. Showing 1 to 20 of 115223

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sea...ery=Manchester
Search Results. Showing 1 to 20 of 309895

Nope, TSR isn’t disproportionately oxbridge focussed, as a first approximation.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Thinking is one thing, obviously there’s a big cloud of vfm around oxbridge, and many genuine questions from the students & parents. (vfm … Value For Money)

but as a scientific engineering person, I don’t mind a little experimentation. Not perfection, just simple. Let’s do a word frequency count “oxbridge” against an antithesis, I did it blind, no preselection - just chose somewhere sensible up-north.

hey that's quite cool
can you try 'oxford' and 'cambridge' individually?
Vapordave
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sea...p?query=Oxford
Showing 1 to 20 of 378329

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sea...uery=Cambridge
Showing 1 to 20 of 500667

LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I edited the url to replace the Oxbridge directly with Manchester, so you can add anything
As a second test, I repeated the search and noticed the TSR count for oxbridge had gone up by 5, so it’s probably accurate, live results!

This sort of analysis comes from basic cryptography, word or individual character frequencies are important
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And the combined scores shows that individually they do outnumber several to one the Manchester (multiple uni’s) scores, we’d have to factor in sentiment (I hate xxxx) but that’d probably even out.

So yes TSR is a great resource for finding answers on some world class universities!
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what you mean by 'obsessed.' From what I've seen, the demographic of people who use TSR is usually skewed towards high-achieving students, who are predicted high grades. Thus, inevitably, as Oxbridge is within their reach, they are going to want to apply there - meaning there are many posts & threads about Oxbridge.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TSR is mostly a student forum, and so naturally it tends to attract more able students (who may be thinking of applying to oxbridge), so threads and posts get created about it as seen above!

The ‘oxbridge or nothing’ mindset is almost part of TSR’s brand now but it’s more of a long-running joke than anything else!
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All you bloody see is straight A** students crying about the fact they think they won't get into Oxbridge. It's bloody everywhere mate.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but they are very obsessed with using Anonymous all the time...
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only from October - December
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well it's not like we get dozens of threads each week asking 'Should I get a Toyota? Should I get a Fiat? Should I get a Skoda?' Nah, they ALL want the friggin Audi to flex and show off their 'individuality'
Ivartheboneless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I edited the url to replace the Oxbridge directly with Manchester, so you can add anything
As a second test, I repeated the search and noticed the TSR count for oxbridge had gone up by 5, so it’s probably accurate, live results!

This sort of analysis comes from basic cryptography, word or individual character frequencies are important
They used this to crack Nazi code because they say 'hail hitler' but that's because it is one way encryption like a hash. Apparently they won't acknowledge hack public and private key encryption. Do.you study this?
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think TSR is “obsessed” with Oxbridge, I do however think that certain individuals on the site are extremely opinionated on universities and try to persuade everyone to go to Oxbridge!
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivartheboneless)
They used this to crack Nazi code because they say 'hail hitler' but that's because it is one way encryption like a hash. Apparently they won't acknowledge hack public and private key encryption. Do.you study this?
Samuel Finley Breese Morse, invented a ‘code’ early 1800’s, mixture of dots and dashes of increasing length. He based Morse Code attribution on the frequency of characters in the European Telegraph system. Most common letter = e = single dot, next most common letter = t = single dash etc
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what do u think?
Yep, but hey, what else is new
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
I don’t think TSR is “obsessed” with Oxbridge, I do however think that certain individuals on the site are extremely opinionated on universities and try to persuade everyone to go to Oxbridge!
I went to Oxford, and know lots of Cambridge graduates (having lived there). The problem that I see is people being disuaded from applying by stereotypes and uninformed opinions.
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
I went to Oxford, and know lots of Cambridge graduates (having lived there). The problem that I see is people being disuaded from applying by stereotypes and uninformed opinions.
That’s understandable, but there definitely is users commenting under some university threads trying to convince others to go to Oxbridge, even when they’ve expressed that they do not want to go for their own reasons. I just wish people would respect others choices, even if they don’t necessarily agree with them! Not everyone has to go to Oxbridge and many people may thrive better elsewhere.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
That’s understandable, but there definitely is users commenting under some university threads trying to convince others to go to Oxbridge, even when they’ve expressed that they do not want to go for their own reasons. I just wish people would respect others choices, even if they don’t necessarily agree with them! Not everyone has to go to Oxbridge and many people may thrive better elsewhere.
Opinions should only be respected on their merits. Would you respect an opinion that slavery is moral?
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Opinions should only be respected on their merits. Would you respect an opinion that slavery is moral?
I just said they should respect others choices regarding university, not slavery haha!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads