binomial series - why is there a range of validity?

Watch
o_reo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
in the form (1 + x)^n the expansion is only valid between -1<x<1 so that the terms get progressively smaller in the series

I dont get why do they need to get smaller?
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by m.s124)
in the form (1 + x)^n the expansion is only valid between -1<x<1 so that the terms get progressively smaller in the series

Because you expand it as an infinite series (for suitable n) so the sum only exists if the terms decrease to zero. It should be in your textbook?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It is possible to express (1+x)^n as an infinite series of terms in increasing powers of x.

The problem with infinite series is that they only converge and give us a meaningful finite value under very particular conditions.

The infinite series for (1+x)^n is a geometric series with common ratio x.

If |x| > 1 it means that every successive term is bigger in magnitude than the term before it. Summing these up blows the sum up to infinity.

If |x| < 1 it means that successive terms get smaller, and it turns out to be sufficient for convergence.

When n is a positive integer, this sum is finite therefore it will always give a finite value with no restriction on x.
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 month ago
o_reo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
It is possible to express (1+x)^n as an infinite series of terms in increasing powers of x.

The problem with infinite series is that they only converge and give us a meaningful finite value under very particular conditions.

The infinite series for (1+x)^n is a geometric series with common ratio x.

If |x| > 1 it means that every successive term is bigger in magnitude than the term before it. Summing these up blows the sum up to infinity.

If |x| < 1 it means that successive terms get smaller, and it turns out to be sufficient for convergence.

When n is a positive integer, this sum is finite therefore it will always give a finite value with no restriction on x.
so the range of validity are the values that it will make the series converge to a value?
but the series still works outside that range... when |x|>1... so why does there have to be a range if it works for alll values of x
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so the range of validity are the values that it will make the series converge to a value?
but the series still works outside that range... when |x|>1... so why does there have to be a range if it works for alll values of x
Reread what I said.

The range of validity is when the series converges, yes.

When |x| > 1 the infinite series does not converge.
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This isn't hard to see with a specific example.

(1+x)^(-1) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + x^4 - ...

The RHS converges if |x|<1 and converges to 1/(1+x).

If you tried setting x = -2 then the LHS is -1 and the RHS is 1+2+4+8+16+... which diverges to infinity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (715)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads