Clauxery373277
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to have a future job in management or finance and I was wondering out of all these, which is the best for me to apply for to get a degree and possibly a PhD in:
Economics and Fiannce at the University of Manchester
Business and Management at the University of Manchester
Business and Management at the University of Durham
Business and Management at the University of Leeds
Business and Management at the University of Lancaster

But yeah I want a finance or management related job so I was just wondering on what employers prefer, what gives better job opportunities and what gives better salaries.

From what I've seen so far a lot of people say Economics is the better degree but that Business means you can do a wider range of jobs. But I don't know which to do. My dad has a friend who has a PhD in Economics and couldn't get any jobs in the UK so had to move to a different country in Europe to. That's kinda putting me a bit off Economics because I don't want to struggle finding jobs at the same time everyone saying Business is a weak degree is putting me off Business so I don't know which to choose.

Finally, if I should do Business, out of the Uni's I said which should I apply To?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The only reason for doing a PhD in something like Economics is to work in academia - no-one in business or industry will the slightest bit impressed. Do not make the mistake of thinking that 'clever bits of paper' will get you a job further up the tree. It doesnt - because you have no actual experience but have too many qualifications for graduate entry, so actually it makes you less employable in the real world.

PS. You make FIVE University choices not just one.
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
The only reason for doing a PhD in something like Economics is to work in academia - no-one in business or industry will the slightest bit impressed. Do not make the mistake of thinking that 'clever bits of paper' will get you a job further up the tree. It doesnt - because you have no actual experience but have too many qualifications for graduate entry, so actually it makes you less employable in the real world.

PS. You make FIVE University choices not just one.
Thanks then. So do you think I should just go for a Business degree and then after look for work experience? Also out of the Business ones I picked which would you say are the best and worst ones University wise for job opportunities and that?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Clauxery373277)
Thanks then. So do you think I should just go for a Business degree and then after look for work experience? Also out of the Business ones I picked which would you say are the best and worst ones University wise for job opportunities and that?
Have you actually looked at these courses in detail?
They will all be different and some may interest you more than others.

You do not come out of University with a bar-code on your forehead that guarantees you a job.
'Job opportunities' are made by you, not the brand name of the University on your degree certificate.
Whatever Uni you go to, and whatever career pathway you choose, what employers are looking for is : a First or 2i, evidence that you didi more at Uni than just study, and that you have some relevant work experience.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do Economics and Finance at Manchester. As you say, business and management are considered soft subjects in comparison due to the lack of maths.

I get the impression you don't actually know what you want to do, saying you want a job in finance or management is possibly the broadest answer you could give. If you do Economics and Finance then you can be an economist or go into the fields that don't require specific subjects like banking, consulting etc. Whereas if you do business and management then you can still go into those fields but you can't work in Economics.
confuzzledteen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say Economics & Finance. You seem undecided about what you want to do in the future. It's best to take the 'less soft' course at university (i.e. Economics) if you have no idea what you want to do in the future as if you decide during the course of the program that you'd like a career in Management, then you can easily get a Masters degree in Business/ Management with your Bachelors Degree. However, if you take Business and then realise you want a job in Finance, it'd be relatively harder to branch into this career path. My opinion, at least.
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Have you actually looked at these courses in detail?
They will all be different and some may interest you more than others.

You do not come out of University with a bar-code on your forehead that guarantees you a job.
'Job opportunities' are made by you, not the brand name of the University on your degree certificate.
Whatever Uni you go to, and whatever career pathway you choose, what employers are looking for is : a First or 2i, evidence that you didi more at Uni than just study, and that you have some relevant work experience.
Ah ok then I'll try get some work experience when I'm at Uni.
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Do Economics and Finance at Manchester. As you say, business and management are considered soft subjects in comparison due to the lack of maths.

I get the impression you don't actually know what you want to do, saying you want a job in finance or management is possibly the broadest answer you could give. If you do Economics and Finance then you can be an economist or go into the fields that don't require specific subjects like banking, consulting etc. Whereas if you do business and management then you can still go into those fields but you can't work in Economics.
Good point. But if I do Economics and Finance and then realise I want to do management, will I still get have a decent chance of doing it? Or will it be a lot harder because I didnt do Business?
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
I'd say Economics & Finance. You seem undecided about what you want to do in the future. It's best to take the 'less soft' course at university (i.e. Economics) if you have no idea what you want to do in the future as if you decide during the course of the program that you'd like a career in Management, then you can easily get a Masters degree in Business/ Management with your Bachelors Degree. However, if you take Business and then realise you want a job in Finance, it'd be relatively harder to branch into this career path. My opinion, at least.
Ok I will prioritise Economics at the Uni of Manchester. My only question is that will I still have a good chance of doing a Business Management related course with Economics if I decide I want that so things like being a manager or will it be a lot harder.
Raja12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok I will prioritise Economics at the Uni of Manchester. My only question is that will I still have a good chance of doing a Business Management related course with Economics if I decide I want that so things like being a manager or will it be a lot harder.
hey, out of all the universities you have listed economics and finance at Manchester is the best option. I just applied for economics and finance at Manchester yesterday, and will hopefully be receiving an offer. As well as applying to that, I applied to Durham and other top universities. However, for me, I am trying to get into investment banking, which is why I need to go to a top university, supposedly 'target' or 'semi-target'.
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Raja12)
hey, out of all the universities you have listed economics and finance at Manchester is the best option. I just applied for economics and finance at Manchester yesterday, and will hopefully be receiving an offer. As well as applying to that, I applied to Durham and other top universities. However, for me, I am trying to get into investment banking, which is why I need to go to a top university, supposedly 'target' or 'semi-target'.
Oo, where else have you applied for Econ?
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh, I'd say you've got an even better shot lol. I dunno, maybe I'm just bias towards Economics but Business really is considered soft. I'd much rather hire someone as a Manager who has a solid foundation understanding of Economics (who then gained a Masters in Management), then someone who only has Business & Management.
Raja12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oo, where else have you applied for Econ?
um I applied to St Andrews for Financial Economics, Durham for Finance with Economics and Nottingham. Just applied to Aston for Economics as the backup option. But personally im thinking of taking gap year, as my school messed up loads of peoples predicted grades. So, lots of people are taking a gap year but if I get into Manchester, then won't be taking gap year. How come you are biased towards Economics lol? You do economics too?
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raja12)
So I would still have a decent chance being a manager or something doing Economics instead of Business? I know Economics is rated more but my dad knows 2 people who did Economics and now are working at minimum wage jobs at Asda.
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
Tbh, I'd say you've got an even better shot lol. I dunno, maybe I'm just bias towards Economics but Business really is considered soft. I'd much rather hire someone as a Manager who has a solid foundation understanding of Economics (who then gained a Masters in Management), then someone who only has Business & Management.
That's what's really tough. Economics is seen as a better subject and harder and more rated by most job suitors but my dad has 2 friends who did Economics and now are on minimum wage jobs. They couldn't get jobs anywhere they tried so now are on minimum wage. That's what makes it so difficult.

I just dont wanna be on a minimum wage job and want to exceed job opportunities wise. But yeah I guess I'll prioritise the Economics one. So does this mean my chances of getting a decent job in the finance or marketing field drastically increases and I look a lot more employable to employees then?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Economics is seen as a better subject and harder and more rated by most job suitors but my dad has 2 friends who did Economics and now are on minimum wage jobs.
Not really.

You're getting some bad advice on here. Business or Econ genuinely doesn't matter. What matters the most is experience via internships or industry etc. Your degree really won't distinguish you if you do Econ and not Business lol. They're quite similar but focus on different aspects.

Econ is not considered 'harder' or 'more rated' by employers. :confused:
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I would still have a decent chance being a manager or something doing Economics instead of Business? I know Economics is rated more but my dad knows 2 people who did Economics and now are working at minimum wage jobs at Asda.
Maybe through an economics degree you'll be taught to think for yourself rather than rely on parental anecdotes with a sample size of 2 😅

The logic your using is the same as if someone were to argue that people should drop out of uni because Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs did, shows uni is pointless. Surely you can now see that the logic that you know two unsuccessful economists means that you'll be unsuccessful is silly. Stats 101 correlation doesn't equal causation.

I agree with the poster above, you and your experiences matter more than the course you do. Getting a good job is far more than just the subject you do at undergrad lol. The roles your discussing in finance and management don't even require business related degrees for their graduate schemes so I wouldn't worry too much. The most important thing is to study whatever you're interested in. That being said I slightly disagree with the poster above as I do think employers slightly prefer Econ degrees than business management ones purely because they're more theoretically rigorous and often contain a significant amount of statistics and calculus.
madame_j
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did a Business degree at Leeds and I studied an Econ module among others. All Economics teachers were absolutely horrible and incompetent. Not sure if all Econ teachers at Leeds are like them but if so, I'd avoid them at all costs. I think a choice of the programme entirely depends on your preference. Econimics is definitely more Maths-based, whereas Business Management refers to different disciplines, like Finance, Entrepreneurship, Marketing and finally Econ. From what I observed, Econ grads rather go into banking and Business grads perform a variety of business roles in different industries. I think studying Business makes you a more well-rounded person but that's my personal opinion. As for jobs, many employers don't care what you finished as long as you graduated with 2:1/1st.
Clauxery373277
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Not really.

You're getting some bad advice on here. Business or Econ genuinely doesn't matter. What matters the most is experience via internships or industry etc. Your degree really won't distinguish you if you do Econ and not Business lol. They're quite similar but focus on different aspects.

Econ is not considered 'harder' or 'more rated' by employers. :confused:
Why does everyone say it then on TSR especially? I've searched through over 20 forums on this and everyones saying "Do Economics, Business studies means you look like you dont know what you are doing and so therefore picked Business" and "Economics is a lot more rated because it covers a lot more maths than Business". I just keep seeing everyone say these same things that's why I was considering putting Economics first because apparently employers dont like you to have Business as people see it as a weak degree.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to have a future job in management or finance and I was wondering out of all these, which is the best for me to apply for to get a degree and possibly a PhD in:
Economics and Fiannce at the University of Manchester
Business and Management at the University of Manchester
Business and Management at the University of Durham
Business and Management at the University of Leeds
Business and Management at the University of Lancaster

But yeah I want a finance or management related job so I was just wondering on what employers prefer, what gives better job opportunities and what gives better salaries.

From what I've seen so far a lot of people say Economics is the better degree but that Business means you can do a wider range of jobs. But I don't know which to do. My dad has a friend who has a PhD in Economics and couldn't get any jobs in the UK so had to move to a different country in Europe to. That's kinda putting me a bit off Economics because I don't want to struggle finding jobs at the same time everyone saying Business is a weak degree is putting me off Business so I don't know which to choose.

Finally, if I should do Business, out of the Uni's I said which should I apply To?
Well one would think the econ & finance is more suited to finance & the business & management courses are more suited to something like Blue chip company grad roles or consulting.

But all these roles are well known to not pay too much attention to the specific degree subject and focus more on candidates. If you want to work in Finance then networking, getting internships, and a stellar CV will be more important then which of these courses you enrol at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.47%
No - I have already returned home (26)
11.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (23)
9.87%
No - I live at home during term anyway (70)
30.04%

Watched Threads