medstudent2021
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, I'm looking for some more guidance on access to medicine courses. What exactly are they? What are the requirements for entering one, can you do them online, etc ,etc . Many thanks.
username5452030
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m studying an access course for engineering, I’m doing it at home (online study), my advice would be do it at college; if you decide to do it at home (online) be very careful what provider to chose! Doing it online the only pro is your at home apart from that it’s hard to connect with your tutor, well with my provider anyway. You just need to have done GCSE maths and English grade C if not most courses can allow you to study for GCSEs whilst doing the access. My provider is Stonebridge I don’t recommend them.
stuntmanhy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did access to medicine and got 2 offers for medicine.

Firstly, research the universities you want to apply to because only around half of med schools (or less) even accept Access courses. On top of that, some are picky about where you did the course. I did mine at City and Islington. Other good ones are Lambeth, Manchester, Sussex Downs, CoWA (this is the most accepted I believe) and some others.

You can't do them online although they are mostly online right now because of Covid. There may be distance learning ones but I'd be wary, given what I said about Med schools being quite selective about where you take the access course.

You will likely need Bs in GCSE Maths and English Language (most med schools require this at the very least) and they will require you to have taken the UCAT/BMAT. My college required a minimum 630 UCAT score in order for them to support a Med or Dentistry application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads