Hennak6319
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm doing my EPQ on whether dreams and motivated or meaningless and i'm really struggling with the essay structure and how to start it, doesn't help that I left it till last minute:/ i've done all the research can anyone help me on making an essay plan and tips for the structure (I'm taking bio chem and psych btw )
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Start with an introduction that defines any key terms, introduces your arguments and the sections of your report.

You should try and split your research into 3/4 parts. I did gun control and so my sections were 'Mass Shootings', 'School shootings', 'Gun Laws' and 'Self-Defence'. You have to do something similar.

In each section you should have a mini introduction. Then it's a back and forth tennis match. You present an argument, then counter it, then another argument, then counter it, etc. You finally come to a mini conclusion of which side was the strongest. Repeat this for every section.

Then write an overall conclusion summarising your entire argument in all the 4 sections.

This is quite a broad description because it's different for everybody. You really do develop it as you go along so I wouldn't worry too much.
Hennak6319
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by chloenix)
Start with an introduction that defines any key terms, introduces your arguments and the sections of your report.

You should try and split your research into 3/4 parts. I did gun control and so my sections were 'Mass Shootings', 'School shootings', 'Gun Laws' and 'Self-Defence'. You have to do something similar.

In each section you should have a mini introduction. Then it's a back and forth tennis match. You present an argument, then counter it, then another argument, then counter it, etc. You finally come to a mini conclusion of which side was the strongest. Repeat this for every section.

Then write an overall conclusion summarising your entire argument in all the 4 sections.

This is quite a broad description because it's different for everybody. You really do develop it as you go along so I wouldn't worry too much.
Ahhh okay I get you, it's difficult because 5000 words is a lot so breaking in down like that makes it a little easier to tackle, that's very helpful thank you!!
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hennak6319)
Ahhh okay I get you, it's difficult because 5000 words is a lot so breaking in down like that makes it a little easier to tackle, that's very helpful thank you!!
No problem
And I promise you that 5000 words goes by so quickly. If you have 4 sections and put 1000 words in each, then you can do 500 words for introduction and conclusion respectively. Boom, 5000. It's actually not a lot!
SmartUnicorn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chloenix)

Thankyou so much !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.83%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (110)
29.18%

Watched Threads