leftchr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hello there

i just completed my master's degree at WBS (Warwick Business School) at Marketing and Strategy which quite an experience I can say given the whole pandemic situation in the middle of our academic year.

so my grades came out like some days ago and managed to get a weighted average of 73.125 which I presume is a distinction. my question is if this great is supposed to be a good one or it is considered low. i don't know much about how master's degrees grades are considered later by the employers. that being said, I did my very best with all the ups and downs and I'm very proud of the result.. just wanted to see if my final outcome is actually good and competitive in terms of employement
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by leftchr)
hello there

i just completed my master's degree at WBS (Warwick Business School) at Marketing and Strategy which quite an experience I can say given the whole pandemic situation in the middle of our academic year.

so my grades came out like some days ago and managed to get a weighted average of 73.125 which I presume is a distinction. my question is if this great is supposed to be a good one or it is considered low. i don't know much about how master's degrees grades are considered later by the employers. that being said, I did my very best with all the ups and downs and I'm very proud of the result.. just wanted to see if my final outcome is actually good and competitive in terms of employement
Masters grades don't affect employment much, you've either got one or you haven't.

You also can't presume that it's a distinction. Much more than at undergrad level, where the grade boundaries are more consistently 50%, 60% and 70%, at Masters level each university sets its own boundary. So for example at Cam Distinction is above 75%, and not all programmes acknowledge Merit as a grade.

It's a great results, but it's only really comparable with in your own cohort, if you want to compare outside your cohort, you need to understand whether you were in the top 50%, 10%, 5% etc of that cohort.
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by leftchr)
hello there

Firstly, many congratulations on achieving a Masters - it's no easy feat, especially at the moment, so you should be very proud of what you have accomplished regardless of what the final grade turns out at.

I'd second what threeportdrift has said here - having worked in business for 11 years, I can say with some confidence that most employers will look at the fact that you've got a Masters and won't really care as much about what grade you got. They're likely to be more interested in your course content (especially any work experience and/or final project), and in how the additional knowledge gained during the course of your Masters programme can be applied to their business and your job role. For targeting employers, it really is about demonstrating that you know how to apply what you've learnt during your Masters, and showing the ways that the additional study makes you stand out from other candidates.

The grade boundary is more important if you're applying for PhD study or funding or, possibly, for very competitive job roles at higher levels. In that case, it does tend to be easier to secure funded PhD places if you've achieved a distinction in your Masters - and of course, if every candidate for a job role has a Masters and you're the only with a distinction, I'm sure that would be noted. And as threeportdrift has said, it can look good on a CV to say you were in the top 5/10/20% of your cohort.

Hope that helps and best of luck with the job applications!

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (558)
34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.57%

Watched Threads