Hennak6319
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got an 8/A* in english language (class of 2019), when I was getting straight 5/C's in class, feel free to ask any questions
R2718
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you motivate yourself to get a higher grade?
foreverrocking
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you revise ?I am getting 6s/5s in lit and lang.I have no clue on how to improve on it
Hennak6319
Rep:
?
(Original post by R2718)
How did you motivate yourself to get a higher grade?
Biggest tip is to start your revision early and break it down into chunks, take it day by day; that way you won't end up overwhelming yourself or losing motivation, also after you've revised it's important to reward yourself big or small.

Another thing that helped me a lot was having a revision timetable and I switched it up every 2/3 weeks so I didn't get bored of it, I also didn't study in one spot, I moved around a lot. Study in the library, stay over after school or even arrive early to school to study, work in your dining room, at your desk even your living room but avoid working in your bed. Little things like this go a long way and keeps you going
Hennak6319
Rep:
?
(Original post by foreverrocking)
How did you revise ?I am getting 6s/5s in lit and lang.I have no clue on how to improve on it
English Language is probably the hardest subjects to revise for at GCSE because you don't know the text that you're going to be given, if its a easy text and there's loads of metaphors and smiles that are popping out and there's lots to write about then that's great, but then also everyone else will see those metaphors etc. and you don't want to write about the easier things that everyone else will write about, you want to be able to pick out the harder stuff to make you stand out and land a higher grade. So when it came to revising for english language, I memorized the structure of the papers because the questions are all the same it's just about what text you're given; so it's important to know all the questions so maybe create a revision poster and stick it up on your wall.

To land a higher grade in english lang, do past papers religiously and when you've finished have a look at your answer and annotate it, be harsh on yourself, highlight what you've included and make notes on what you haven't included etc. Have different coloured highlighters for quotations, analysis, linking to the question, subject terminology etc. (the more colourful your answer the better) When you've done that look at an example response and annotate that response too, that was something that really helped me a lot.

When it comes to english literature, mindmaps will be your best friend, make a mindmap on every theme and character in the book/ play, and I mean every single theme and character, use colours to colour coordinate, i used a red pen for quotes to make them stand out more. Pick a handful a key quotes, as in must know quotes and make a few revision cards on those ones, so have the quote on one side, and the analysis on the back (also make sure you know which theme/ character it links to).

Again do past papers, I wrote at least 6 essays every week and sent them to my teacher to mark, you don't have to do as many as I did, try and do them without your notes but also time yourself as time keeping is so important in any english exam.

Hope that helps
foreverrocking
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any notes from your past texts .I do Macbeth,AIC and Jekyll and Hyde
Joseph Songy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Please help me with application letter for prefect of sanitary in school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (716)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.8%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.4%

Watched Threads