Is it too late to change my A levels?

Watch
Hannah.Banana.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a year 12 student currently taking A level French, History, Maths and Chemistry. I’m really enjoying French and History and I think I want to do a degree in Law and French Law and I hopefully want to go to Oxbridge.

However I’m not currently doing too well in maths and chemistry. My last maths test was a B and my last chemistry test was a C. I know these grades are nowhere near good enough to get into Oxbridge so I really want to change chemistry for law.

My college only gave you 4 weeks to change your A levels and it has currently been 7 weeks. Would it just be too much of a challenge to catch up on all the things I’ve missed in law by now? Or should I try to plead my case to my curriculum superviser and see if they will let me change?

Also would it be okay if I dropped chemistry, tried to get the maths grade up to an A* by the end of the year and just tried to apply to Oxbridge with only 3 A levels?
SparkleFace
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I don’t believe it’s too late. Tell your teachers and I assure you that they’ll let you change. Tell them that you have a different career prospect that you believe there is a more fitting and interesting alevel. A B in maths? That’s a great score! Remember, you’re only in 1st year and most people get Ds and Es. You’re definitely on the right track for an A*! Besides that, I got an E in my first chemistry test (far worse than you!) and now I’m on track for As and got an A* on my most recent test! See, put the effort in and you won’t get a bad score but more importantly, don’t give up so easily! You’ll get better grades throughout chem and maths but it’s your decision if you still want to change. I mean if you find law alevel interesting and better then do that! But 3 good alevels at A* is better than 4 alevels at A. So perhaps you might want to drop one anyway and keep the 3?
Good luck
Last edited by SparkleFace; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (98)
28.32%
No - I have already returned home (45)
13.01%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.36%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.12%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.19%

Watched Threads