The Student Room Group

PWC Flying Start Accountancy 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liymm29
Hi everyone, I am currently a BSc Accountancy student at the University of Nottingham. If you have any questions or queries regarding the course, please feel free to ask.

Hi, I I applied for flying start degree at Nottingham but now I have to do the online assessment called 'career unlocked'. Did you have to do it too? How did you practise? Is there numerical questions in it and abstract reasoning too? Im really really confused as im getting mixed info from everywhere. What is the assessment about, do I practise im honestly so confused and I wanna get it done by the end of the xmas holidays
Original post by Conorcliffordd
Has anyone else applied for pwc flying start accounting at Reading, Newcastle, Nottingham or Manchester yet?
Personally sent my application off for 3/4 dsicluding manchester.
No reply back yet apart from I’m on hold from Nottingham :smile:
What other courses/universities are you guys applying too?

I got accepted my Manchester and a reply from Nottingham but I have to do the PwC assessments before they offer me a place.
Got asked to do a game based assessment. Looks like if I pass this stage then I will get asked to do a video interview, and if I pass that I’ll be invited to a virtual assessment centre!

did you do the game based assessment? How was it? How can I practise? Does it have abstract reasoning and mathematical reasoning in it?
Original post by katiewilson_262
i got 8683 but ran out of time on the questions at the end so just guessed

Heyyy I wanna do the career unlocked test in some days. Can you please explain how it works because im really confused on how they have mathematical and abstract reasoning imbedded into the game. How quick are the timings and what are the questions like? how long did it take you?
Just got invited for video interview!

Hey can you please give me tips for the careers unlocked stage? Im so confused about it. Whats it about. Does it have mathematical and abstract reasoning in it? Should I practise? How hard is it. Im so so stressed please help lol
Original post by ShambledStudent
Heyyy I wanna do the career unlocked test in some days. Can you please explain how it works because im really confused on how they have mathematical and abstract reasoning imbedded into the game. How quick are the timings and what are the questions like? how long did it take you?

hey i literally takes about an hour don’t stress i did not prep and got an interview it’s just a series of games to complete there are like 9 games then 1 section of maths questions but i ran out of time an i still got in. Also it’s mainly memory there is no need to prep for it tho
Reply 66
Would I be at a disadvantage if I only sent off my application now
Reply 67
Original post by ******is
Just graduated from the flying start programme and am now working full time at PwC. If anyone has any questions relating to the programme/journey let me know and I'd be happy to answer :wink: unfortunately I don't think I'll be super helpful with the application side of things because it was 4 years ago now so I don't remember loads and it has changed quite a lot since I applied

hey so after you graduate whats the starting salary? Then by how much does the salary rise after completion of all the accountancy exams? Also whats the pay like during the placements is it paid weekly?
Original post by Ht_445
hey so after you graduate whats the starting salary? Then by how much does the salary rise after completion of all the accountancy exams? Also whats the pay like during the placements is it paid weekly?

So as a placement student you'll get 18k + overtime which is based on your hourly rate (£10) and since you can charge time in 15 minute increments that's starting from £2.50. For that (and as a graduate) you're paid monthly.

When you join you'll be a Senior Associate 1 which gives a salary of 29k. I've just finished my final 3 exams so I'm exam-qualified now (found out I passed yesterday :eek:) and my salary will remain the same until I hit Senior Associate 2 level which takes 1 year. The salary for that I'm not sure but a quick Google tells me £40k ish.

Will also add that while the 18k placement figure is the same for all offices when you join full time the pay will vary. I'm in the Birmingham office for reference
Reply 69
So as a placement student you'll get 18k + overtime which is based on your hourly rate (£10) and since you can charge time in 15 minute increments that's starting from £2.50. For that (and as a graduate) you're paid monthly.

When you join you'll be a Senior Associate 1 which gives a salary of 29k. I've just finished my final 3 exams so I'm exam-qualified now (found out I passed yesterday :eek:) and my salary will remain the same until I hit Senior Associate 2 level which takes 1 year. The salary for that I'm not sure but a quick Google tells me £40k ish.

Will also add that while the 18k placement figure is the same for all offices when you join full time the pay will vary. I'm in the Birmingham office for reference

Thanks and so is that 18k per year ? On average how much did you earn monthly during placement during university?
Original post by Ht_445
Thanks and so is that 18k per year ? On average how much did you earn monthly during placement during university?

Yeah it's pro-rated, I think all the unis have the same length placements just at different times of the year so 1st and 2nd placement is 3 months (4.5k) and final placement is 4 months (6k)
Original post by Lightt
Would I be at a disadvantage if I only sent off my application now

Im sending in mine tomorrow, UCAS deadlines are january so were still sorta early. Dont worry abt it
Original post by ShambledStudent
Hey can you please give me tips for the careers unlocked stage? Im so confused about it. Whats it about. Does it have mathematical and abstract reasoning in it? Should I practise? How hard is it. Im so so stressed please help lol

Hey if youre like me and practising makes you feel more confident, try out assessmentday online it practises you on numerical reasoning, logical/deductive reasoning and verbal reasoning. :smile:
Reply 73
Yeah it's pro-rated, I think all the unis have the same length placements just at different times of the year so 1st and 2nd placement is 3 months (4.5k) and final placement is 4 months (6k)

so how hard was the univeristy course and the placements? what did you do during placements and could you move to a differnt city to work during placements and did they provide accomodation?
Original post by Ht_445
so how hard was the univeristy course and the placements? what did you do during placements and could you move to a differnt city to work during placements and did they provide accomodation?

Honestly I won't lie it's tough, tougher than other accounting university courses. Of course we all want to graduate with 70+ averages but there's something about knowing you need 50/55 to pass rather than the standard 40 that makes it mentally grueling as well. The jump from 1st to 2nd year is intense and it doesn't get better until 4th year where it's pretty chill. Completely depends where your strengths are but for me the tax and finance modules were very tough. As an indicator my year started with 50 and graduated with 23ish, with the rest failing and being transferred to other courses in the business school. However I will say if you make it to the end you'll likely finish with a first (15/23 graduated with a first).

Placements were a lot easier in comparison, as long as you speak up and ask for help you're not going to struggle work wise. Hardest thing is coping with the longer hours and/or travel but that will depend a lot on your office and clients.

Around Christmas time of your first year you'll do the process of choosing an office. You'll be given a list of offices and a little description about them including the type of clients. You then get to speak to other flying starts in those offices and ask questions. Then you get to choose your top 3 and write why you should be chosen. Depending on the demand for the office and your written bit you'll get (hopefully) your first choice. If the office is away from home you get a very swanky serviced apartment close to the office, if it's in your home city then you'll be expected to stay at home and you'll be given a small allowance for this, same applies if it's in the city of your university.
Original post by katiewilson_262
hey i literally takes about an hour don’t stress i did not prep and got an interview it’s just a series of games to complete there are like 9 games then 1 section of maths questions but i ran out of time an i still got in. Also it’s mainly memory there is no need to prep for it tho

Ok thank you soo much x
Original post by ranimukerji
Hey if youre like me and practising makes you feel more confident, try out assessmentday online it practises you on numerical reasoning, logical/deductive reasoning and verbal reasoning. :smile:

Okay thank you sooo much :smile:

If you aren't doing a flying start degree and get into graduate ACA trainee scheme (3 year) at PwC what would your position be when you start?Would you just be an associate on 21k initially?What would your salary be at the end of the 3 years?Eg at Birmingham office.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm really sad that I didn't apply for any of the Unis that offer the Flying Start programme :frown: Does anyone know if PWC does any similar programmes that offer similar benefits for a placement year?
Original post by Chelsea2018
If you aren't doing a flying start degree and get into graduate ACA trainee scheme (3 year) at PwC what would your position be when you start?Would you just be an associate on 21k initially?What would your salary be at the end of the 3 years?Eg at Birmingham office.

I'm not massively knowledgeable about graduate salaries, I think it starts at 22k (but 21k could be right if that's what you've heard). You'll start as an associate 1 (AS1) on 22k, after a year you'll move to AS2 on 24k(?) and then you'll be a senior associate 1 (SA1 - my grade) on 29k. After 3 years you'd hit SA2 level which is what I mentioned before at 40kish

Edit: After SA2 it's manager if anyone was curious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending