Funding for second degree on a pre-registration healthcare course

Watch
MichelleLouise97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am interested in applying for the MSc Nurse Paramedic course at Edge Hill university in Sept 2021. I already have a BSc in Psychology and have had 3 years of full-time funding from SFE, so this would be my second degree.

I have spoken to SFE about this course but there seems to be some confusion about my eligibility for funding, maybe because the course is relatively new? (First intake Sept 2020).

The university have confirmed that it is a pre-registration healthcare course and that it is exempt from previous study rules. They have also confirmed that even though it is a 4-year integrated masters, I would need to apply for undergraduate funding for all 4 years, including the final masters year.

So because this course is exempt from previous study rules, will I be eligible to apply for funding from SFE for all 4 years of undergraduate study?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MichelleLouise97)
I am interested in applying for the MSc Nurse Paramedic course at Edge Hill university in Sept 2021. I already have a BSc in Psychology and have had 3 years of full-time funding from SFE, so this would be my second degree.

I have spoken to SFE about this course but there seems to be some confusion about my eligibility for funding, maybe because the course is relatively new? (First intake Sept 2020).

The university have confirmed that it is a pre-registration healthcare course and that it is exempt from previous study rules. They have also confirmed that even though it is a 4-year integrated masters, I would need to apply for undergraduate funding for all 4 years, including the final masters year.

So because this course is exempt from previous study rules, will I be eligible to apply for funding from SFE for all 4 years of undergraduate study?
Hi Michelle, I've checked the database and discussed this with my colleagues. We are unsure if this is an exception course because of the paramedic part of the course and paramedicine isn't an exception course but Nursing is.

We advise you to submit an application as soon as the applications launch early next year and our assessors will make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac
MichelleLouise97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Michelle, I've checked the database and discussed this with my colleagues. We are unsure if this is an exception course because of the paramedic part of the course and paramedicine isn't an exception course but Nursing is.

We advise you to submit an application as soon as the applications launch early next year and our assessors will make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac
I understand there is confusion but the university themselves have confirmed it to me by saying:

"Unfortunately, BSc (Hons) Paramedic Practice students are not exempt from previous study rules.

However, students joining pre-registration programmes in Midwifery, Nurse Paramedic (Adult), Nursing, Nursing & Social Work (MNSW awards), and Operating Department Practice are exempt from previous study rules."

I know that you cannot tell me exactly what funding I'm entitled to until I make my application. However, all I need to know is whether I'm even entitled to apply for a tuition fee loan/maintenance loan.
Surely, there must be a way for me to get that clarified before I have to do the whole application through UCAS and then wait till Feb 2021 to even make a SFE application?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I understand there is confusion but the university themselves have confirmed it to me by saying:

"Unfortunately, BSc (Hons) Paramedic Practice students are not exempt from previous study rules.

However, students joining pre-registration programmes in Midwifery, Nurse Paramedic (Adult), Nursing, Nursing & Social Work (MNSW awards), and Operating Department Practice are exempt from previous study rules."

I know that you cannot tell me exactly what funding I'm entitled to until I make my application. However, all I need to know is whether I'm even entitled to apply for a tuition fee loan/maintenance loan.
Surely, there must be a way for me to get that clarified before I have to do the whole application through UCAS and then wait till Feb 2021 to even make a SFE application?
The university don't decide our regulations. If it is an exception course then you will be entitled to the Maintenance & Tuition Fee Loans.

I have checked the database and it shows as pre registration so it could be an exception course but I discussed this with my colleagues and the paramedic part makes us unsure so it's not something I want to guarantee without an assessor reviewing your application.
Thanks, Isaac
MichelleLouise97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
The university don't decide our regulations. If it is an exception course then you will be entitled to the Maintenance & Tuition Fee Loans.

I have checked the database and it shows as pre registration so it could be an exception course but I discussed this with my colleagues and the paramedic part makes us unsure so it's not something I want to guarantee without an assessor reviewing your application.
Thanks, Isaac
Okay, thank you for your help anyway.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay, thank you for your help anyway.
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads