Why do people hate the rich who live luxury lives and buy expensive things?

Watch
Anomaly155
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why is this?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because they've more often than not got rich at the expense of others one way or another. Either that or it's basic jealousy.
Jdjdjdjdjd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Because they've more often than not got rich at the expense of others one way or another. Either that or it's basic jealousy.
Are you referring to providing jobs for people?
Hudds999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jealousy.
Anomaly155
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Because they've more often than not got rich at the expense of others one way or another.
Like what?
And I find it a bit rediculous that we can all stereotype the rich but it's so wrong to stereotype Black people or women or gay people or anything like that??
Anomaly155
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hudds999)
Jealousy.
It's honestly sad
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Suspicion (baseless or otherwise), ideology (class-based exploitation theories), envy.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
because they think they are all that
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s no problem with them actually being rich, the problem is that they exploit others to get there. No one needs that much money anyway; living a comfortable life with luxury is absolutely fine, but the money left over that they spend on the most ridiculous and unnecessary things could save thousands of people.
SetethFlayn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anomaly155)
Why is this?
Many different reasons, I think. Jealousy, envy, a feeling that they're unreachable and unapproachable people. It's easy to assume the worst in those who have a lot of money because we have an odd relationship with it (for example, we know we need it but we don't like seeing excesses with it, we don't feel it's polite to say we have a lot of it, and we like to think we'd be incredibly generous with it if we did). Also a belief that they have a moral duty to use their money for whatever that person would have liked to if they had the money ie. helping the poor, funding, charity. Perhaps even an insecurity, a feeling that they'll never reach such success. All of this is made worse when our own circumstances are bad- the comparison makes us hate them, makes us believe their lives are utterly free of suffering. Just my 2p worth, but that's how I think of it anyway.
username5398218
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
There’s no problem with them actually being rich, the problem is that they exploit others to get there. No one needs that much money anyway; living a comfortable life with luxury is absolutely fine, but the money left over that they spend on the most ridiculous and unnecessary things could save thousands of people.
Agree i so something on tele few month back about how the rich live on some of it was really depressing how much they waste on stuff they dont really want...it was really sad
Celtic Conjurer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jealousy for the most part, it's that simple.
Anomaly155
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Many very wealthy billionaires give hundreds of millions of dollars to the poor but millions of everyday people waist thousands of dollars a year on things they don't need like expensive shoes, restaurants, cinema popcorn and so on so it really isn't a rich problem
(Original post by the bear)
because they think they are all that
Not all and like I said it's a bit rediculous that we can all stereotype the rich but it's so wrong to stereotype Black people or women or gay people or anything like that?? I have met rich people who are very nice and humble who have to deal with jealousy and hate
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why is this?
I wouldn’t say hate, but people often dislike the rich because they mooch off of the working man to make an enormous profit, it’s called exploitation.

Companies often don’t pay their workers a liveable wage, that means a life worth living not a life barley making ends meet, and to top that off you see numerous millionaires and billionaires alike who do not pay their fair share of tax.

Given the above explanation it becomes clear and perfectly understandable why reasonable people would dislike the aforementioned group.
Anomaly155
Rep:
?
(Original post by Golderz Is Great)
Agree i so something on tele few month back about how the rich live on some of it was really depressing how much they waste on stuff they dont really want...it was really sad
you have no idea how much they give to charity tho
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jealousy mostly. There is quite a big gap between the rich and the poor/'commoners' so that could also bring stereotypes and misconceptions.

Though think of it like this, most people have to work hard to make a living, with rich people they are born into that life therefore don't necessarily have to work for anything.
Last edited by Alienated.; 1 month ago
username5398218
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you have no idea how much they give to charity tho
if someone who is worth 70mil gives 20,000 to charity it looks better than someone who gives 10 pound but is no min wage though doesn't it
TchaTravels
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The context of "essential /basic needs" for rich and poor are different.
Poor work hard to earn money and hate it when rich people buy expensive and "unnecessary "things.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd)
Are you referring to providing jobs for people?
Whether those jobs are fair or outright exploitative is another matter entirely IMO, many would agree that the gap between the have's and have not's is only growing wider.

Like what?
And I find it a bit rediculous that we can all stereotype the rich but it's so wrong to stereotype Black people or women or gay people or anything like that??
I said more often than not, I have no specific hatred of the rich, but you asked why. I don't think these things are comparable though? No one is black at the expense of other people? A super rich person hoarding far more money than they need and taking it offshore to avoid their taxes hurts us all in a way that someone being gay certainly doesn't?
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not everyone can be rich, but anyone can hate on rich people 🤗. Unfortunately, It is what it is. Even if they worked hard for their money, they are still bound to get hate. The best we can do is move on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads