The Student Room Group

Why do people hate the rich who live luxury lives and buy expensive things?

Scroll to see replies

As free loaders want an easy life the rich pay 40% tax and 11% insurance and give people work they buy nice cars thats more tax to the Government they buy nice big houses more tax for the Government when you die you pay more tax even when you are dead get off your ass and get a job and dont say we have Covid -19 as l am talking about when we had no Covid-19 lazy bunch off sods living of my money how dare you
Original post by StriderHort
Whether those jobs are fair or outright exploitative is another matter entirely IMO, many would agree that the gap between the have's and have not's is only growing wider.

I said more often than not, I have no specific hatred of the rich, but you asked why. I don't think these things are comparable though? No one is black at the expense of other people? A super rich person hoarding far more money than they need and taking it offshore to avoid their taxes hurts us all in a way that someone being gay certainly doesn't?

I see but it's said that if Amazon for example paid their workers just $6 more the company would unprofitable and not every rich person avoids tax. Sure they're many that do but it's wrong to stereotype and hate on people that you don't know. For example look at Jay-z, he grew up extremely poor but he is now a billionaire from hard work and belief in himself. If these poor people were actually billionaires they would probably spend their money on things they don't need too. Good to know you don't hate the rich but I am extremely upset with this hating billionaire trend and I hope it stops being trendy
Who gave them riches that they didn't work for lmao?
Original post by Anomaly155
Who gave them riches that they didn't work for lmao?

Social media, Parents etc.
Original post by 1st superstar
Social media, Parents etc.

What do you mean social media? And it's not just parents look at Jay-z for example. He grew up very poor and is now a billionaire. No one gave that to him
Why is this?

Because we live in a consumeristic society where people are brainwashed by advertising everywhere that to achieve happiness they just need more stuff, or to buy this thing etc. In reality, to achieve happiness we just have to fulfil Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the best things in life are free.

Look into minimalism and intentional living. if you have Netflix watch "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things"
Reply 26
Many very wealthy billionaires give hundreds of millions of dollars to the poor but millions of everyday people waist thousands of dollars a year on things they don't need like expensive shoes, restaurants, cinema popcorn and so on so it really isn't a rich problem

Most very wealthy billionaires don't, or they leave it in their will rather than bear to part with it. Bill Gates is the exception.
It's also sad that billionaires have gained significant amounts of wealth during the pandemic. And if they've gained wealth then clearly they're not giving it away!
Original post by Sinnoh
Most very wealthy billionaires don't, or they leave it in their will rather than bear to part with it. Bill Gates is the exception.
It's also sad that billionaires have gained significant amounts of wealth during the pandemic. And if they've gained wealth then clearly they're not giving it away!

How do you know they don't give money to charity?
Reply 28
How do you know they don't give money to charity?

They barely make a dent into the total wealth they have
Original post by Sinnoh
They barely make a dent into the total wealth they have

Well alot of their wealth is in assets rather than liquid cash so they can't
l own a rolls royce
Original post by Scottishlad888
l own a rolls royce

Really?? good on you mate😂😂
Reply 32
Well alot of their wealth is in assets rather than liquid cash so they can't

Like stock? They can sell it. They do sell it.
Original post by jacobf91
Look into minimalism and intentional living. if you have Netflix watch "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things"

I gave away my tv to reduce the clutter in my living room :frown:
Original post by Sinnoh
Like stock? They can sell it. They do sell it.

To who? Other billionaires?
So you're just gonna assume they got the money that they might've actually earned by exploitation? smh
Original post by nikkiblonsky
So you're just gonna assume they got the money that they might've actually earned by exploitation? smh

I know it's such a stereotype
Original post by harrysbar
I gave away my tv to reduce the clutter in my living room :frown:

feelsbadman :smile:
are you referring to the rich or the superrich? i hate the superrich because they’ve either gotten that rich by exploiting others OR by inheriting money from family that exploited others. nobody needs as much money as the superrich, and that money could do so much good if it was spread equally. but, people care more about the rich spending their money how they want than people starving ig.
are you suddenly psychic?

Quick Reply

Latest