The Student Room Group

36% in chem test. feel like a failure

so i did an AS chem test and got my result back. i got 36%. i feel like an absolute failure- i even studied. i feel so lost and feel like crying and i dont know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

How did you study?
Original post by cupcake4546
so i did an AS chem test and got my result back. i got 36%. i feel like an absolute failure- i even studied. i feel so lost and feel like crying and i dont know what to do.

Get the test back and understand where you went wrong.

Do the test again in a fortnight ...
Original post by Tracheostenosis
How did you study?

i made some notes and did a few exam q
just went through it with a friend. a lot of it was exam technique. weirdly im more motivated to study now
It’s fine :smile: I got an E in my first exam and am on the road for As
Just go over your mistakes and practice questions!
(edited 3 years ago)
find out why you got a low score, i.e. compare your paper to the mark scheme. work on your weak points.

5 years ago when i was in sixth form, my friend got a U in his maths C3 mock but he got a B on results day (overall grade.)
i made some notes and did a few exam q

Right, on my first ever test for AS I got a D, baring in mind I was a grade 8 student in GCSE,

I had to resit a different paper because a D is obviously not good enough, the day before the exam I went through as many past papers as i possibly could on PhysicsandmathsTutor.com
I learnt from my mistakes and I used YouTube videos to help me, I got 98% overall, so big jump from a D to an A, and ever since then I got full marks in every paper I did. So it’s more about, understanding from your mistakes for chemistry, and learning the mark schemes
Reply 8
Are you in your first or second year of college? If first year, your best choice would be to take up new a-levels for next year/BTEC.
For A levels, if you learn the whole of the syllabus back to front without doing loads of past papers, the most you’ll get is a D/C
Reply 10
Look over the test. Identify where exactly you have lost the marks and why. Make this a focus for your studying.
Also, consider, are the revision techniques you're using actually working for you? For example, some people will study with flash cards religiously. I personally don't deal well with them at all. Try your hand at different revision techniques and see how you absorb information best.
If it is, as you said, an issue of exam technique, then practice questions will probably be the tipping point for you. Definitely try do some more!
I went from an E in history in year 12 to an A* by the end of year 13. It is perfectly doable so long as you're identifying where you're going wrong, and crucially, remedying these problems.
Best of luck. The fact that you're so upset only shows that you care enough to do well.
awww dw hun im in yr12 too n last yr i was predicted an 8 in gcse chem which i was set to get n then all of a sudden some sh*t happened which meant i failed my mocks n was consistently failing all topic tests and it got to the point where i thought i might end up failing everything n wldnt be able to take chem but cuz of covid n CAGs i got a 7 haha which means i get to now do chem at alevel like i wanted n im sooo grateful like its hard ngl but i love it
i did a test as well last week n ik for a fact i got less than 50% but its whatever rn cuz imma just learn from it n work hard n move on uno? so u shld do the same n dont dwell on it too much x
sorry this probz didnt even help loool XD but i hope it did x
Right, on my first ever test for AS I got a D, baring in mind I was a grade 8 student in GCSE,

I had to resit a different paper because a D is obviously not good enough, the day before the exam I went through as many past papers as i possibly could on PhysicsandmathsTutor.com
I learnt from my mistakes and I used YouTube videos to help me, I got 98% overall, so big jump from a D to an A, and ever since then I got full marks in every paper I did. So it’s more about, understanding from your mistakes for chemistry, and learning the mark schemes

omg that's so good. i got a 9 at gcse so this was a shock. and when doing the test it didn't seem to bad. i will for sure go through it and do pmt q. any youtubers u reccomend and any other tips for chem.
Original post by ArtmisKco
It’s fine :smile: I got an E in my first exam and am on the road for As
Just go over your mistakes and practice questions!

ah really. hopefully u get there!!
Original post by M_Zara
awww dw hun im in yr12 too n last yr i was predicted an 8 in gcse chem which i was set to get n then all of a sudden some sh*t happened which meant i failed my mocks n was consistently failing all topic tests and it got to the point where i thought i might end up failing everything n wldnt be able to take chem but cuz of covid n CAGs i got a 7 haha which means i get to now do chem at alevel like i wanted n im sooo grateful like its hard ngl but i love it
i did a test as well last week n ik for a fact i got less than 50% but its whatever rn cuz imma just learn from it n work hard n move on uno? so u shld do the same n dont dwell on it too much x
sorry this probz didnt even help loool XD but i hope it did x

thx. we can get through this together!!
omg that's so good. i got a 9 at gcse so this was a shock. and when doing the test it didn't seem to bad. i will for sure go through it and do pmt q. any youtubers u reccomend and any other tips for chem.

Tbh, you don’t even need YouTube videos, you know your textbook? Attempt the review questions, and the summary questions, don’t ignore them, they’re pretty much every possible scenario that they could ask you. But if you do that, you’ll be at a Solid B, in order to get in that A region, you have to do past papers like there’s no tomorrow
Original post by Mikos
Look over the test. Identify where exactly you have lost the marks and why. Make this a focus for your studying.
Also, consider, are the revision techniques you're using actually working for you? For example, some people will study with flash cards religiously. I personally don't deal well with them at all. Try your hand at different revision techniques and see how you absorb information best.
If it is, as you said, an issue of exam technique, then practice questions will probably be the tipping point for you. Definitely try do some more!
I went from an E in history in year 12 to an A* by the end of year 13. It is perfectly doable so long as you're identifying where you're going wrong, and crucially, remedying these problems.
Best of luck. The fact that you're so upset only shows that you care enough to do well.

thank u soo much!! thats really encouraging. im gonna do exam q on this topic
For A levels, if you learn the whole of the syllabus back to front without doing loads of past papers, the most you’ll get is a D/C

oof. exam papers r really important then. gonna focus more on them!
thx. we can get through this together!!

omgg yess i totally need a study buddy looool x
Original post by Xarao
Are you in your first or second year of college? If first year, your best choice would be to take up new a-levels for next year/BTEC.

first yr. but wanna do dentistry and need chem

Quick Reply

Latest