Do you think it is possible to fall in love with someone on the internet?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Title ^
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think so because whereas when your in person you can feel that real connection, that chemistry. Through a screen you cannot.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

If anything it's probably worse than real life because of anticipation.

It's like falling in love with a book character, and the reason why reading > watching the TV series / movie for many people.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
No, it ain’t love
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
If this is the person i think it is dm me cause i like you too
username5447346
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i mean...a few hrs ago i thought i had...
n now im just like stupid, stupid gullible me...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
I don't think so because whereas when your in person you can feel that real connection, that chemistry. Through a screen you cannot.
The strange thing is I do feel that connection....... but ive never been in love before either so idk if its real or not
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There have been cases where people have met through the internet. So I do think it is possible.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes.

If anything it's probably worse than real life because of anticipation.

It's like falling in love with a book character, and the reason why reading > watching the TV series / movie for many people.
Would you mind expanding on that? I don't think I fully understand sorry
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The question is whether it will pan out irl or not. If there's no way to meet, nowhere to end the online-ness and go into real life, cut your losses, you are just wasting your time.
sunny.side.up
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The strange thing is I do feel that connection....... but ive never been in love before either so idk if its real or not
You may, but you won't know its real unless you have actually been with that person. Do you mind me asking if its someone on a social media or...?
Anonymous #1
If this is the person i think it is dm me cause i like you too
You're anon you know :facepalm: but sorry i dont think i am who you think anyway
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s not love, it’s impossible for it to be love.

Reason why is because you don’t know the person, you’re just aware of their online presence, for it to be love you have to know the person in reality.

Anything other than that is merely infatuation and idealisation.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would you mind expanding on that? I don't think I fully understand sorry
It's basically because you don't know them fully and can't really make a proper judgment via the internet.

All your impressions etc. will be from the carefully constructed words they typed, from the select few photos they posted to you.

You are still to meet this person, so will presumably have a favourable impression in your head about how amazing it will be when you finally meet them, how cool would it be to talk to them etc. etc.

It's like waiting for something you have bought or you are longing for, sometimes the anticipation is better than when you actually got that object in your hands.
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think you can reach the stage of "love", but you can definitely build a strong basis though texts/video calls etc. You can't really love someone who you've never seen the whole of, and anything over the internet will be heavily filtered and not really give you the full idea of their best/worst days.
TheAnxiousSloth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, if you speak over skype/video call, or even just a phone call. Without that, you're in love with the thought of the person rather than the actual person.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Alienated.)
There have been cases where people have met through the internet. So I do think it is possible.
But is it possible to fall in love before meeting in real life is what i mean

(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
The question is whether it will pan out irl or not. If there's no way to meet, nowhere to end the online-ness and go into real life, cut your losses, you are just wasting your time.
We will be meeting but not for a while so that's not an issue for now. thank you for replying
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sunny.side.up)
You may, but you won't know its real unless you have actually been with that person. Do you mind me asking if its someone on a social media or...?
I guess that is true..... Yes, it's someone on social media.
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But is it possible to fall in love before meeting in real life is what i mean

We will be meeting but not for a while so that's not an issue for now. thank you for replying
Of course it is, the only real issue if the person you've fell in love with online is actually that person in real life

And that's when that Catfish show enters...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
It’s not love, it’s impossible for it to be love.

Reason why is because you don’t know the person, you’re just aware of their online presence, for it to be love you have to know the person in reality.

Anything other than that is merely infatuation and idealisation.
(Original post by ecolier)
It's basically because you don't know them fully and can't really make a proper judgment via the internet.

All your impressions etc. will be from the carefully constructed words they typed, from the select few photos they posted to you.

You are still to meet this person, so will presumably have a favourable impression in your head about how amazing it will be when you finally meet them, how cool would it be to talk to them etc. etc.

It's like waiting for something you have bought or you are longing for, sometimes the anticipation is better than when you actually got that object in your hands.
(Original post by TheAnxiousSloth)
Yes, if you speak over skype/video call, or even just a phone call. Without that, you're in love with the thought of the person rather than the actual person.
Okay so the general consensus is that I am in love with the idea of this person... is that dangerous in terms of the relationship?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed