Going to university for music with no ABRSM grades

Watch
mertcutio
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay, so I want to go to university for music next year. I'm currently on a music technology course and gotten a D* for the first year so far and I play keys on the side too- I'm pretty decent at it, I'd say. The thing is though, I haven't really taken any formal exams and it seems that most courses want ABRSM grade 7 or 8 in theory or piano.

What do I do? Could I say on my application that I'm working towards that? Or will that not stand? Is there anything I can be doing in the meantime? Or am I just screwed?
Advertisement
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're at the desired performance standard, many courses will let/make you demonstrate this by audition or video recording, even if you aren't 'graded'. There are some courses which will still take you on, on the basis that you'd focus on modules other than performance (on my course, some are taking 'laptop performance' in lieu of vocal or instrumental performance).

Having neither A-Level Music or graded music theory limits your options somewhat (Music tech generally isn't accepted in place of these), but there are still courses you can find without those requirements.

If you've got your eye on a specific course that you can't get on, another option might be to take a year out and get the additional qualifications you need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed