Mature Uni students seem rude

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My original firm uni everyone seemed so lovely and everyone was helping everyone out with uni stuff and updating everyone and they just seemed like they wanted to help each other out. I didn't get into that uni and my current uni has a lot more mature students in it and most of them seem so blunt and rude. Someone will ask a question and they will be so blunt about it and they just seem a lot more rude and I really don't get why. Maybe it's because they're older but if you don't like that you get a lot of messages from the group just leave.
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My original firm uni everyone seemed so lovely and everyone was helping everyone out with uni stuff and updating everyone and they just seemed like they wanted to help each other out. I didn't get into that uni and my current uni has a lot more mature students in it and most of them seem so blunt and rude. Someone will ask a question and they will be so blunt about it and they just seem a lot more rude and I really don't get why. Maybe it's because they're older but if you don't like that you get a lot of messages from the group just leave.
I know this answer is annoying but, it's best if you avoid them for now. Once they calm down, then you could get to know them a bit more 😌
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Imhere2help)
I know this answer is annoying but, it's best if you avoid them for now. Once they calm down, then you could get to know them a bit more 😌
The uni is quite poor with communication so when people ask questions in the group others just seem to get annoyed for no reason and be blunt instead of helping.
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The uni is quite poor with communication so when people ask questions in the group others just seem to get annoyed for no reason and be blunt instead of helping.
That's on them then! The most important thing is you understand what you need to do (ask questions even if the others think it's annoying who cares it's your education too!). You're at university for YOU and If they can't handle somebody asking questions to understand the material then that's their problem!

You can make friends with people from other departments (I'm not sure how with covid around tho).
I hope you have a wonderful time at uni and I hope you have a great life 😄.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Imhere2help)
That's on them then! The most important thing is you understand what you need to do (ask questions even if the others think it's annoying who cares it's your education too!). You're at university for YOU and If they can't handle somebody asking questions to understand the material then that's their problem!

You can make friends with people from other departments (I'm not sure how with covid around tho).
I hope you have a wonderful time at uni and I hope you have a great life 😄.
Thank you. Maybe because they've been to uni before or they've had life experience they don't understand were we are coming from but With my first uni we were all around the same age. I hope you do too :-)
Anonymous #1
Bump
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What exactly has been said that is 'rude'?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Being blunt isn't really the same as being rude. What types of questions are being asked? It might be that they think some of the things being asked is very obvious or has already been repeated before numerous times - in which case I can't really blame them.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mature student here abd the number of questions that are raised in our year Group what’s app that can be answered “have you checked the student handbook:looked on module page” drives me mad. But I just politely answer. Like I won’t tell them the answer but I will tell them where it can be found.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ramipril)
What exactly has been said that is 'rude'?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Being blunt isn't really the same as being rude. What types of questions are being asked? It might be that they think some of the things being asked is very obvious or has already been repeated before numerous times - in which case I can't really blame them.
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Mature student here abd the number of questions that are raised in our year Group what’s app that can be answered “have you checked the student handbook:looked on module page” drives me mad. But I just politely answer. Like I won’t tell them the answer but I will tell them where it can be found.

They haven't said anything directly rude it's just the way they come across. Different people have different ways of working and when someone says they haven't started an assignment yet they're like you should nearly be finished by now even after others have said they're lecturers said that they should start the assignment once content has been covered. Also, the uni is going all online now and people were discussing it and talking about how poor the unis communication was and then I just felt like they were shutting down everyones opinions and invalidating how they're struggling with the workload.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They haven't said anything directly rude it's just the way they come across. Different people have different ways of working and when someone says they haven't started an assignment yet they're like you should nearly be finished by now even after others have said they're lecturers said that they should start the assignment once content has been covered. Also, the uni is going all online now and people were discussing it and talking about how poor the unis communication was and then I just felt like they were shutting down everyones opinions and invalidating how they're struggling with the workload.
Literally just ignore them. Not all mature students are like this, so don't let that put you off the entire category of students.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s easier to manage the workload when say you are used to working 9-5 every day, you are in that routine.
But most of us are as last minute as everyone else with essays (and i swore I would not be!)
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
It’s easier to manage the workload when say you are used to working 9-5 every day, you are in that routine.
But most of us are as last minute as everyone else with essays (and i swore I would not be!)
Can sadly confirm. I do the same.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's unfortunate, it seems they're not very open to considering other point of views (which in itself is an important skill in university!). If you feel like they are being unnecessarily passive-aggressive or invalidating your views, just ignore them and don't let them affect you or your learning. Can confirm not all mature students are like that, I have a few in my year group and they're pretty much just your average uni student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads