The Student Room Group

Self-teaching French GCSE

Hey guys, is there any free apps or sources I can use to help with my French learning? I’m self-taught, so anything will be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheSpicyTriangle
Hey guys, is there any free apps or sources I can use to help with my French learning? I’m self-taught, so anything will be appreciated!

duolingo is quite good but get a gcse textbook. It'll be most useful
Lingvist helped me a lot with vocab and listening to words which helped with listening, speaking and reading.

CGP revision guide will help with grammar elements etc and set vocab lists are available on exam board site (you can also use quizlet to help with learning all the vocab that may come up).

Its also really important to have a good understanding of tenses (including the subjunctive if you want to push up grades) so maybe search up some set phrases on TES, there should be some free resources you can download !!!
The CGP GCSE French workbook is great for practicing, especially the translations, as you can test yourself on vocab, grammar and translation all at once! Other than that, HelloTalk is good for practicing conversation (as long as you keep general internet safety in mind) and lawless French (website) is good for getting your head around grammar! I'm not hugely keen on duolingo, tbh, but it's ok for days when you can't or don't want to do any proper French work!

How are you planing to sit this GCSE?

I suggest getting some CGP revision books and trying Duolingo and Quizlet.
I'm quite good at french and I know beyond my year level of french- been studying it since year 3 (I'm in y9 now) so if u ever need any help on revision for french my PMS are always open
Reply 6
I did french GCSE and I used memrise- there is a course that is aqa specific there and u can learn a lot of vocabs. I also used a website for listening called zut (it is free after school times) and seneca is great for gcse subjects too. Definitely get lots of practising on listening tho, that personally for me is the hardest anyways.
Hi,

I would suggest getting the CGP revision guide and also watching BBC Bitesize videos on grammar and phrases (they're what i recommended to my friends and they worked well for them:biggrin:). Also depending on the exam board you are using, there are specific text books, from Edexcel and AQA. French is one of my native languages so if you ever want to have a conversation or are stuck on anything, please let me know I'd be more than happy to help. :smile:
Try Duolingo. Alternatively see if you can find revision books at your local bookshop etc.
Original post by Muttley79
How are you planing to sit this GCSE?

My mums paying for one from my school lol
Original post by KoutarouAmon
Hi,

I would suggest getting the CGP revision guide and also watching BBC Bitesize videos on grammar and phrases (they're what i recommended to my friends and they worked well for them:biggrin:). Also depending on the exam board you are using, there are specific text books, from Edexcel and AQA. French is one of my native languages so if you ever want to have a conversation or are stuck on anything, please let me know I'd be more than happy to help. :smile:

Thanks! (Also, love the name!) :smile:
Original post by π”Έπ•€π•‘π•–π•Ÿ π”Έπ•¦π•£π•–π•π•šπ•’
I suggest getting some CGP revision books and trying Duolingo and Quizlet.
I'm quite good at french and I know beyond my year level of french- been studying it since year 3 (I'm in y9 now) so if u ever need any help on revision for french my PMS are always open

Wow thanks so much!
Anki is really good for vocab. I recently created a deck with all the vocab so I'll link it here.
E: Here https://file.io/zwIsbbdcbequ
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Vapordave
Anki is really good for vocab. I recently created a deck with all the vocab so I'll link it here.
E: Here https://file.io/zwIsbbdcbequ

Oh wow that’s brilliant! Thank you so much!
Oh wow that’s brilliant! Thank you so much!

No problem :smile:
My mums paying for one from my school lol

Have they agreed that they will conduct the aural etc?

Are you in Year 11?
Worth reading French newspapers- Le Figaro and Le Monde have an online presence, for example. Probably plenty of French language content on You Tube, not that I look for it.
Wow thanks so much!

np hehe
Thanks! (Also, love the name!) :smile:

My pleasure, and thank you:biggrin:
Original post by Muttley79
Have they agreed that they will conduct the aural etc?

Are you in Year 11?

I’m in year 10 atm, and I’m not entirely sure. I’m pretty sure the pandemic will be less present when I do my GCSE exams

Quick Reply

Latest