Dentyboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello all so I recently turned 18 and times are looking uncertain so I signed up with an employment agency got an interview and a job at a factory with one of their clients though the job I was actually doing was different to what I applied for it told them this and they said that they’d look into swapping me onto the position I’d originally applied for but in the meantime work the position id been put onto. After a week some agency staff told me about a new position as ‘security’ they told me that it was a 12hr shift 6-6 3 days on 3 days off alternating between days and nights seemed pretty good so I went for it. Got told to come in Tuesday 6pm to start but then midday Tuesday I got a call saying come in at 5pm to get shown the basics. Anyway I came in at 5pm went to the agency office in the factory and it was closed despite being told it would be open till 5.30. I had no other option but to go to security and say I was starting, I went to tell them and they where confused and said that they where not informed that someone would be starting today they rang about and apparently I was meant to be at a gatehouse for the factory’s lorry park about half a mile away they showed me how to get there I was pretty annoyed at the agency for not telling the correct location but I didn’t let it get me down I got shown the basics of what to do then got left to do the night shift. All was great was working at this position for 4 weeks until a few days ago I turned up for my 2nd shift out of 3 for the week and went to sign in then one of the managers asked me what shoe size I was got some safety boots a hard hat and a vest and told me I was now working picking deliveries and apparently the day shift manager was supposed to tell me. I just agreed to work in the warehouse and I spoke to some of the others in there and apparently that’s how it works you start in the gatehouse then start working in the warehouse 1. The agency never told me about this 2. How does that even make any sense normally when you start a position you wouldn’t start in a nicer job you’d work your way up. I’m so annoyed I don’t feel human I just feel like a robot that can be placed down anywhere at any time. All I got told to do was to basically pack boxes of chicken onto a pallet and that’s it I wasn’t shown anything else the first day the guy that was training me just left at 4 but I spoke to my manager asking what time I finish and he said 6 I told him the guy training me left so he said you can either hang around for 2 hours or go home since ‘there’s no point training me on how to scan’ just shows how little they value me I guess if they can’t even be bothered to train me and let me go early, the next day I was in the warehouse and at 5:20 everyone just disappeared? I didn’t want to just leave incase I wasn’t supposed to do I hung around in the office waiting for the manager and waited for about 20 mins until he just said ‘oh you can go mate’. I spoke with my mum about quitting she said I’d look for another job first but if you really don’t like it just leave. Exactly what I planned to do expect I only have 1 way of contacting the agency through one of the consultants on her phone number I called up today at 3 and it just rung out there’s no email and I don’t have any other phone number to ring really unorganised. Thing is I called on a Saturday meaning they won’t be in the office again till Monday morning I mean how unprofessional and again unorganised how are the people that work Sundays supposed to get into contact with the agency? I’m just guessing they don’t. After all this I’m thinking of just not turning up anymore since they can’t even be bothered to pick up the phone I think that’s pretty reasonable after how they treat me and I really do not care about a reference or burning bridges I mean it’s an agency a reference from them probably won’t make much difference for my future prospects. The only 2 good things is the pay and I’ve learnt that you should value your happiness over a well paid job and that I’m still young I shouldn’t be wasting my time working a crap job just for the money I’d honestly rather peruse my dream job and live with little money for a few years. I’m Fortunate enough to be in the position that having just turned 18 I still live with my parents rent free so the only major expense I have to pay is my car insurance. Anyway looking for advice of what to and to warn you guys to stay away from agencies.
Marfyy2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agencies are hit and miss and it sounds like you've had a miss, and that sucks...
But your line about being young and not wasting your time in a crappy job? Sorry to be the one to break it to you... But welcome to life. You might be living rent-free for now but you can outstay your welcome pretty quickly, especially if you're not looking for anything but the dream job. If you're dead set on not going back to the agency I can understand that but you need to get a job of some sort, or at least be actively looking. In the mean time you can start making a plan to actually get to your dream job, whatever that may be.
Serious employers won't care about a reference from the agency if you can give them something else, but if you're not planning on getting another job then you'll at least need to leave the agency on good terms. Also, most employers want to know about gaps where you weren't working or in education, so be prepared to explain to an interviewer that you spent that time valuing your happiness...
Dentyboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Marfyy2)
Agencies are hit and miss and it sounds like you've had a miss, and that sucks...
But your line about being young and not wasting your time in a crappy job? Sorry to be the one to break it to you... But welcome to life. You might be living rent-free for now but you can outstay your welcome pretty quickly, especially if you're not looking for anything but the dream job. If you're dead set on not going back to the agency I can understand that but you need to get a job of some sort, or at least be actively looking. In the mean time you can start making a plan to actually get to your dream job, whatever that may be.
Serious employers won't care about a reference from the agency if you can give them something else, but if you're not planning on getting another job then you'll at least need to leave the agency on good terms. Also, most employers want to know about gaps where you weren't working or in education, so be prepared to explain to an interviewer that you spent that time valuing your happiness...
I have a plan for when I leave I can assure you I’m not just leaving so I can sit on my arse all day long doing nothing my parents are understanding people and generous they don’t charge my brother rent and he’s 21 it’s partly because they understand the situation the world is in and they understand that being young I didn’t have the greatest amount of savings to begin with. My plan is to go back to college being under 19 it’s still free. I understand that people have to make ends meet with crappy jobs but if I’m working full time with an agency there’s no way I’m going to be able to progress to ultimately the job that I want. I’m prepared to work part time at a job but trust me no job can be worse then agency work, the thing is when working with an agency they can essentially use me when or how they want I looked into my contract and I can essentially be moved into a position with no notice which is exactly what happened. I don’t really mind working crappy jobs or boring jobs as long as my employers know what they are doing, honestly I’m pretty sure I’d have a better job at somewhere like the Co-op. Plus again quitting is not just for my happiness, if I where to explain it to an employer I’d simply say things weren’t working out and I chose to pursue a different career path, although it looks bad I think it would seem better then essentially sticking around for me to be trained up then leave later on creating a bigger mess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise