HayleyMoo85
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, I’m currently filling in my ucas 2021 application and would like to clarify eligibility for funding of my choices. I hold a degree in English and would like to apply for uni for a second degree to study dental hygiene and therapy (I am not registered in the field). My choices are;
Bristol- dental hygiene and therapy (3yr BSc Hons)

Leeds- dental Hygiene and therapy (3yr BSc Hons)

Newcastle- oral and dental health sciences (dental hygiene and therapy)(3yr BSc Hons)

Teeside- dental hygiene and dental therapy (3yr BSc Hons)

And my remaining choice is between the following two;
Portsmouth-dental hygiene and dental therapy (3yr BSc Hons)

Essex- oral health science (2 yr FdSc)

Can you please confirm if all of the above courses qualify as an exception course? They all lead to being a registered dental hygienist and therapist apart from Essex, which leads to being a registered hygienist (without the therapist qualification). Also, if the Essex course does qualify, would I at a later date after completion of the course be eligible for funding to do the BSc Oral Health Science course at Essex, which is a one year course that tops up the FdSc to include dental therapy. So it would be a 2 year FdSc followed by a 1 year BSc and allow me to register as both a dental hygienist and therapist. I ask this because I would like to be both a hygienist and therapist but if funding won’t cover the courses being split in two like that I will make Portsmouth one of my choices instead.

Many thanks,

Hayley.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HayleyMoo85)
Hi there, I’m currently filling in my ucas 2021 application and would like to clarify eligibility for funding of my choices. I hold a degree in English and would like to apply for uni for a second degree to study dental hygiene and therapy (I am not registered in the field). My choices are;

Newcastle- oral and dental health sciences (dental hygiene and therapy)(3yr BSc Hons)

Can you please confirm if all of the above courses qualify as an exception course? They all lead to being a registered dental hygienist and therapist apart from Essex, which leads to being a registered hygienist (without the therapist qualification). Also, if the Essex course does qualify, would I at a later date after completion of the course be eligible for funding to do the BSc Oral Health Science course at Essex, which is a one year course that tops up the FdSc to include dental therapy. So it would be a 2 year FdSc followed by a 1 year BSc and allow me to register as both a dental hygienist and therapist. I ask this because I would like to be both a hygienist and therapist but if funding won’t cover the courses being split in two like that I will make Portsmouth one of my choices instead.

Many thanks,

Hayley.
Hi, it will take some time to check each one so I will message you again within the next 48 hours.
Thanks, Isaac
HayleyMoo85
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, it will take some time to check each one so I will message you again within the next 48 hours.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you Isaac
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Many thanks,

Hayley.
Dental Hygeine & Dental Therapy are exception courses, your previous English degree does not affect your eligibility for funding.

You can be funded for all those dental hygiene/therapy courses mentioned, the only ones you won't be funded for is the oral health science as it's not an exception course and the qualification is lower than what you have already achieved and also the oral dental health science at Newcastle is not an exception course.

The information I am providing is for the 20/21 academic year. Things could change in the 21/22 academic year although unlikely.
Thanks, Isaac
HayleyMoo85
Rep:
?
Thank you for taking the time to research that for me. It’s such a shame that the Newcastle course isn’t an exception course, as it too is a course leading to the qualification ’dental hygienist and therapist’. Same with Essex, as I was hoping to do both the FdSc and the bsc at Essex which is 3 years in total and also leads to the qualification ‘dental hygienist and therapist’. I wonder why they won’t allow for those in particular.

Thanks,
Hayley.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for taking the time to research that for me. It’s such a shame that the Newcastle course isn’t an exception course, as it too is a course leading to the qualification ’dental hygienist and therapist’. Same with Essex, as I was hoping to do both the FdSc and the bsc at Essex which is 3 years in total and also leads to the qualification ‘dental hygienist and therapist’. I wonder why they won’t allow for those in particular.

Thanks,
Hayley.
You're welcome. Only Dental Hygiene/Therapy is an exception course, it must show this on the course database that I have access to.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads