CIFA fraud marker and student loan

Watch
Omk123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I think I might have a cifa fraud marker on my name as my old Barclays account closed 3 years ago due to suspected fraud. Now I’m 18 and I need an account for student loan I have applied for NatWest and HSBC and have been declined and when I called Barclays to see what was going on they said my account is closed and they can’t see anything and I’ll have to call Experian and get a credit report which I have currently done and still awaiting reply. Any advice tips in case I can’t open an account
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Omk123)
I think I might have a cifa fraud marker on my name as my old Barclays account closed 3 years ago due to suspected fraud. Now I’m 18 and I need an account for student loan I have applied for NatWest and HSBC and have been declined and when I called Barclays to see what was going on they said my account is closed and they can’t see anything and I’ll have to call Experian and get a credit report which I have currently done and still awaiting reply. Any advice tips in case I can’t open an account
You might have? Surely you know whether you let someone use your account or not? Try Monzo. No High st bank will take you.
Dexter345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You might have? Surely you know whether you let someone use your account or not? Try Monzo. No High st bank will take you.
Monzo no longer give banks to people with Cifas markers
Dexter345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best to open one with revolut
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dexter345)
Monzo no longer give banks to people with Cifas markers
MMm ok. I know they had started refusing some people. Was there an announcement which said no to everyone?
Dexter345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
MMm ok. I know they had started refusing some people. Was there an announcement which said no to everyone?
I’m not 100% sure but from what I’ve heard people with cat 6 cifas markers have been getting rejected so I’m guessing it’s for everyone with a cat 6 which is what op probably has
struggler07
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s defo cifas then apply for a prepaid card they don’t require credit checks
Omk123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ll try
Omk123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Do you think it’s possible to get the marker removed
struggler07
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Keep complaining banks don’t like that
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, there was a reason it was put in place and from what I’ve read almost nobody has had it removed. You will have to out up with it and never do something so stupid again so you don’t get this problem.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by struggler07)
Name change only way I think
Changing your name to avoid a mark is fraud or some other crime I think because you are trying to circumvent a mark against your name.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They wouldn’t have any evidence your a new person on a new database they wouldn’t care
And how would you have any id for this name change to prove who you are to the bank?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
They wouldn’t have any evidence your a new person on a new database they wouldn’t care
As Bio pointed out that is a fraud in itself.
They would also struggl;e to provide the evidence to establish who they are.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You underestimate how much they will care about someone using a false ID to commit fraud. Your ideas here are illegal and you should not try recommending them.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"Aye I'll change my name, I'm sure the bank and fraud agencies will never have ****ing thought of that one" FFS some people
struggler07
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Changing your name to avoid a mark is fraud or some other crime I think because you are trying to circumvent a mark against your name.
Can’t you change your name on your passport
struggler07
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
"Aye I'll change my name, I'm sure the bank and fraud agencies will never have ****ing thought of that one" FFS some people
Or just keep making complaints to the bank
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can’t you change your name on your passport
Yes but that's not fraud. Using a new name to avoid a debt, criminal charge and other similar things is.
struggler07
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
And how would you have any id for this name change to prove who you are to the bank?
Can’t you change your name on a passport
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (106)
28.49%
No - I have already returned home (47)
12.63%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
19.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (38)
10.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (110)
29.57%

Watched Threads