The Student Room Group

OU Law degree? Frowned upon?

Ok, so...

Over the years I have taken a huge interest in law. I read a lot of forum/reddit posts of people doing studying law, active solicitors etc. I have seen a few time people explaining the difficulties of getting a reasonable job in law, if you didn't attend a good university, is this true?

My career goal was to become a prosecutor for the CPS or something in criminal law with a goal salary of £40k+. Would a law degree attained from Open University be frowned upon? And would it be a waste of time? Is a £40k salary attainable with a OU law degree with relevant experience?

BTW, studying at a physical university is not an option right now, it would have to be OU.

Also, any further tips or the downsides of studying a OU Law degree would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hey, just doing a search on the forum for law posts.

The OU is not going to be frowned upon. At the end of the day, your success as a candidate is not limited by your degree. Only you are the limitation to your success.

That being said, one of the principal aspects of university, especially the top ones, is that you are surrounded by like-minded people who can advise and support you through the process. They also likely have family members/connections who have trodden this path before. This cannot be understated.

So in short, no. You are just going to need to be incredibly motivated. I think the CPS is quite competitive, so, I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
It is possible but there are some conditions on ou law degree. You have to finish the degree in 6 years maximum if you want to become a solicitor. Then you need to attend professional training. I am not sure if you need to take the bar exam as well. I think you do if want to become a barister. I had a look on this myself in the past.
Reply 3
Ref the above: If you want to become a Solicitor, you will need to complete SQE 1 and 2. The LPC is now gone. This is worth reading about as there has been a big change recently in qualification.

If you want to become a barrister, you will need to complete the BPTC and a Pupillage. The "old way" still.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending