Will Yeung
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm slightly confused on what you can choose for your minors (how they work) and if each universities are specific for what you can have as your minor degree?
I would like to study Japanese as my major but Korean has taken me by interest as well. Therefore, I am interested in trying to incorporate studying Korean so I thought having it as a minor would be the best choice.
For instance, I would like to study Japanese at SOAS, but will there be an opportunity to study Korean as a minor?
My question would be does all universities offer any minor modules to any major subjects or are they specific?
Last edited by Will Yeung; 1 month ago
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The UK doesn't use majors and minors. You apply to a specific course
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As above, generally in the UK there is no such thing as "majors" and "minors". Your degree is what it says it is in. However some courses approximate a major-minor combination of subjects (usually termed e.g. BA X with Y, where X is the "major" subject and Y is the "minor" subject). Some courses do have a specific structure wherein one subject is deemed a major and another a minor subject, but these aren't reflected in the degree title itself directly (e.g. a number of natural sciences courses and the arts and sciences course at UCL, oriental studies at Oxford if you take a subsidiary language, as that is essentially a "minor", among others).

One or two may allow you to have a "minor" recorded on your transcript if you take a certain number of optional modules in a particular area (humanities degrees at Southampton allow this possibility). Generally though most non-STEM, non-professional degrees allow students to take a certain number of optional modules, including outside of the main department, which may allow you to explore other areas. However it's usually not possible to start two languages from scratch in the same year (and probably not advisable!).

In terms of Japanese at SOAS specifically, I believe it is possible to start Korean through your optional modules from second year onwards there. You could then take up to 30 credits of Korean in each of your final two years at SOAS. It might be possible to take Korean language courses during your year abroad as well, although it will probably depend on the structure of the programme for exchange students at the destination university. Quick-use might be able to advise on the possibility of taking Korean while on your year abroad at a Japanese university? Note the new structure of the East Asian languages degrees at SOAS means that all of them take certain general "East Asian Studies" type modules along with the rest of their language studies, which will undoubtedly cover material relevant to Japan, China, and Korea even outside of language work.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Will Yeung

I don't think there's a degree programme in the UK that allows you to graduate with a major in Japanese and a minor in Korean. That said, some universities will let you take outside modules in Korean while you do your degree in Japanese. I know for certain that both Edinburgh and Oxford let you do this, but I imagine SOAS, Sheffield and Leeds etc might let you do this too. You could directly email them and ask. :rambo:

Moving onto studying Korean/other languages during your year abroad in Japan, I'm not sure this would be possible in most universities unless you showed exceptional prowess in Japanese (you'd be learning it fully in Japanese with native students) and they had space. I know that it wasn't allowed at my university in Tokyo, but I think my friend was able to take a foreign language course at Okayama University. They may have done Spanish but I'm not sure.
Will Yeung
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Will Yeung

I don't think there's a degree programme in the UK that allows you to graduate with a major in Japanese and a minor in Korean. That said, some universities will let you take outside modules in Korean while you do your degree in Japanese. I know for certain that both Edinburgh and Oxford let you do this, but I imagine SOAS, Sheffield and Leeds etc might let you do this too. You could directly email them and ask. :rambo:

Moving onto studying Korean/other languages during your year abroad in Japan, I'm not sure this would be possible in most universities unless you showed exceptional prowess in Japanese (you'd be learning it fully in Japanese with native students) and they had space. I know that it wasn't allowed at my university in Tokyo, but I think my friend was able to take a foreign language course at Okayama University. They may have done Spanish but I'm not sure.
Oh, I see, that make's a lot more sense. I assume that the major/minor concept is more of an American (and other western countries) term?
I have seen Sheffield do a specific course for Korean studies with Japanese and Chinese studies with Japanese but not the other way round, unfortunately (and very surprising too). I have not seen SOAS or Leeds do a specific course directly with the two languages involved but I will definitely send them an email!
Thank you! artful_lounger Quick-use
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Will Yeung)
Oh, I see, that make's a lot more sense. I assume that the major/minor concept is more of an American (and other western countries) term?
I have seen Sheffield do a specific course for Korean studies with Japanese and Chinese studies with Japanese but not the other way round, unfortunately (and very surprising too). I have not seen SOAS or Leeds do a specific course directly with the two languages involved but I will definitely send them an email!
Thank you! artful_lounger Quick-use
For SOAS I don't think it's represented in the degree title directly, just that you take the Korean modules in their BA Japanese degree. It may be similar at Leeds.
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Will Yeung

You are right that we only offer a specific course with Korean as the major title, however as part of our Languages for All programme at Sheffield you can take an additional language with your degree course. Therefore, it may be possible to take one of our other single or dual honours courses, and add an additional module in beginner's Korean.

As this is quite a specific question, I would recommend you get in touch with the School of East Asian Studies directly, who will be able to advise you further. Their email address for course enquiries is [email protected]

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions about studying in Sheffield, please do let me know!

-Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2019)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2020)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads